Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extremly Nervous about time away

Exclamation Extremly Nervous about time away

Okay I'm a control freak, I still haven't spent any time away from DS except for working hours and a trip to the ER when I had that stomach bug.

He still nurses Mornings, as soon as we're home from work and bedtime, he does drink some cows milk at DC only. and weekends he nurses alot more often. like naps and for comfort other times...he does STTN 99% of the time and when he wakes we cosleep the remainder of the night... I do not in any way, shape, or form want to wean him yet.

We are planning to go to a music festival this summer (we go every year, I took DS last year) and I will be away from him for 3 nights, 4ish days, maybe less if I can't stand it.... my parents will come to our house during this time and we will be approx 1-1.5 hours away (depending on traffic)... anyway this is just the tip of the iceberg...

we still haven't even let him stay with anyone besides us and his DCP (we've actually had 2, but both were carefully screened SAHMs) my MIL asked to visit recently and take him to the zoo alone and we said no we would go with them....

I know I must be crazy please help me....
    I need to be okay with this, to be okay with at least small trips away from him even for a few hours? we are taking a trip to the beach a few weeks prior to the music festival we will be with my parents and want to test the waters with being away from DS. any tips to make this easier on both of us (Me and Silas)

also should I take my pump with me for the festival?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Default Re: Extremly Nervous about time away

Awww

I would be nervous too about going, but you're doing the right thing about testing the waters first before the concert.

He will be okay, I bet it's going to be harder on you!

Do you have a manual pump? I would bring it along in case you got engorged so you weren't all uncomfortable at the event. But you don't really need to worry about pumping for supply, just comfort ya know. I know when I go 24 hours I get engorged then it tapers off, but that first day is kind of uncomfortable.

When is your first night away from him?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

our beach trip is memorial day week Saturday May 23rd through Saturday May 30th, we can test the waters then.

the festival is Thursday June 11th through Sunda June 14th. we'll be camping on site so we won't see each other from midday Thursday through midday Sunday If I can make it.

technically he's been away from me when I had Surgery in October (I was checked in on a Friday at 10am, he stayed with me till noonish, and discharged on Sunday morning), but he came to the hospital several times each day to nurse and DH was with him constantly and my parents were around to help and support them/us....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

No advice just

Just wanted to offer a Autumn. I have to go back to school in the fall and I stress about leaving DD with someone else.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Forgive my nerdy ignorance on this, but are you not allowed to leave the festival site?

I drive an hour to go to Costco, can you just drive maybe halfway to meet at a park or something a couple times during the 3 or 4 days

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    Forgive my nerdy ignorance on this, but are you not allowed to leave the festival site?

I drive an hour to go to Costco, can you just drive maybe halfway to meet at a park or something a couple times during the 3 or 4 days

I could, but there are a few hinderances, one is you camp next to your car so we will be parked in a 'herd' of other cars/tents, another is there are usually about 70,000-100,000 people and lots of traffic in and out of the festival grounds with multiple checkpoints random lengthy searches where the look for glass, other phohibited objects, and drugs etc....
    in past years we've had to hike over 5 miles each day from camp to the shows
    here's a pic I took from the roof of my car a few years ago for perspective
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Okay, never mind

and this link shows an idea of size http://www.bonnaroo.com/activities.aspx
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Autumn,
    I know exactly how you feel. I've had to travel twice in the past 6 mos for work and have had to leave DD for 4days and 6 days each. We also attended an out of town wedding and my mom stayed with DD overnight. I was a wreck each time! It doesn't get any easier. And I'll be the first to admit that I'd rather be with DD than w/out her (like the zoo trip your MIL suggested). But you can do this mama!!!!! You and DH deserve some fun couple time. Silas will be fine with your parents especially since he'll still be at your house with all his toys and stuff. I was worried about DD weaning while I was gone both times and both times she enthusiastically nursed when I returned...it was a great way for us to reconnect.

The beach trip will be a great way to do a trial run. I think you'll be surprised at how well Silas does. My kid says bye bye mama and practically runs to my mom and doesn't look back. I think you'll also be encouraged by how well you do too. Walking out the door is the hardest part, but once you get caught up in the fun you are having and realize that you get to pee alone, eat a meal when you want, and walk around without a diaper bag and stroller in tow, you'll realize that a little time away is refreshing. I have come to cherish the short time that I get to not be just a mommy when I'm away and rediscover the person I was before having DD.

As for pumping, I'd bring it. When I was away in February (DD was 18mos at the time and nursing 2x a day) I pumped just once a day right before bedtime. I didn't save any of the BM since DD no longer drinks EBM and I wasn't worried about pumping enough to maintain my supply (although I did drop a bit as the week went on, but I knew it would rebound when I returned), I just pumped to keep from getting engorged. So pumping wasn't a hassle or stressful because I didn't have to worry about storage and I didn't have to get nervous about the amount pumped.

Again, you can do this Autumn. And worst case scenario, you aren't going to be that far from home and can easily go home if you need to. But, I'm pretty sure that won't be necessary for you or Silas.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09