Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smoking and supply

Default Re: Smoking and supply

I drank like 4 cups per day it was nasty! Does your urine smell like maple syrup? I'm not trying to be weird but funegreek makes your urine smell like syrup if you get enough if it. I'll have to go read your OP but when my supply dipped at 9 months I added a pumping session as well to build supply a little in addition to all the nursing, etc. Good Luck mama!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Have you seen a lactation consultant? That may be a good place to start. There could be a latch issue that is causing your baby to not take in as much milk. In general, babies are more efficient than a pump and bringing baby to breast often is the best way to increase supply. There is nothing wrong with pumping after nursing though, and it will only help

I had good luck with Fenugreek, and if you search for it on kellymom there is some good informatio on there.

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. Do you have a LLL in your area where you could reach out for support?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I am working with a IBCLC and the latch seems to be fine. I contaced LLL but all they said was to contact a IBCLC. so sick of seeing my LO drink formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kristi96 View Post
    I am working with a IBCLC and the latch seems to be fine. I contaced LLL but all they said was to contact a IBCLC. so sick of seeing my LO drink formula
    I know but you are doing the best thing for her. So may woman would have given up by now so good job for sticking with it. She is getting the benefits of the BM!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Can I ask how often your baby nurses at night? Do you cosleep?
    If so, you can do dream feeds and nurse LO when they are sleeping. Many moms have an abundant supply late at night/early morning.
    How often during the day/night would you say you are nursing?

i agree with the oatmeal recommendation, if you are not already trying it.
    Also, if you are up for it, maybe drink a beer at dinner. Beer is a milk booster too. It will be safe to nurse with one beer in your system too.
    Blessed Thistle is another herbal supplement.

here is a link to prescription medication that can help build your supply. have you talked to your OB about it too?

have you started taking birth control yet? That can be a hinderance.
    Anemic? using a pacifier?

Sorry this is 'rambly', just trying to help you figure this out!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Anytime my DD fusses at night I nurse her. I usually get in bed around midnight and we do co-sleep. I normally nurse her when I get into bed, then again around 2am, 4am, and 6am. Last night around 3am and some how I managed to fully wake up and walk out to the living room to weigh her before I nursed her. I tranferred 1.9oz to her and thats the most I've given her in the last 4 days of weighing her before and after each feeding.

On a average day she nurses 10 to 12 times. Not to mention she does little 5 minutes snack nursing here and there. I tried drinking a Newcastle last night so not sure if that helped or not. Wow was that hard to get down (hate the taste of beer). I'm not on any birth control yet and she doesn't take a pacifier. My dad did try to give her one but she looked like she wanted to gag when he tried to give it to her.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kristi96 View Post
    How many glasses a day are you supposed to drink with the mothers tea? How long does it normally take to notice a difference. I don't like the taste of it but I'll give it another go.
    I did three cups a day. I also mixed, I didn't like the taste. So one tea bag of Mother's Milk tea and one bag of the Raspberry leaf tea.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

with everyone- smoking sucks and your friend should quit if she can and only smoke outside and away from baby if she can't, and she should continue to nurse even if she doesn't quit.

Just wanted to suggest you see your OB or midwife and discuss some of the physical causes of low supply, which include:
    - hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
    - hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
    - retained placenta fragments
    - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)

to you- I know you're working incredibly hard!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You have gotten some great advice already mama, so all I can offer is s.

Don't even get me started on the smoking....
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown