Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking and supply

Default Re: Smoking and supply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*only.woman.in.the.house View Post
    Not true, the benefits of BFing outweigh the risks of smoking while doing so. Your friend is not a bad mom, only human.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html

I would encourage your friend to get into a stop smoking support group! Even offer to go with her if she wants/needs. Does she get WIC at all? I believe they may have access to resources to help her stop smoking as well.

As for your supply have you tried pumping after each feeding to help build it back up?

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Right now I'm weighing her, nursing, weighing her, pumping, feeding her whatever milk I can express and then formula if I don't have enough milk. Its getting very hard to keep this routine up but I know its for the best. I'm also putting her to the breast anytime she is fussy even if she only stays on for 5 minutes.

Mama I'm sorry you are going through this, it can be very frustrating. Are you taking any medications or supplements?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Sometimes with a hormone shift milk supply can drop. What helps me is upping my water intake, eating oatmeal, nursing on demand, and pumping after nursing to make sure the breast is empty. This recipe for milk boost bars has helped a friend of mine:

Oatmeal Lactation Breakfast Bars

2 c. butter, Crisco, or margarine (can mix and match to equal 2 c.)
    1 c. granulated sugar
    2 c. packed brown sugar
    4 eggs
    1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. baking soda
    2 1/2 c. flour
    1/2 c. wheat germ
    1/4 c. brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast powder
    1/4 c. flax meal (or whole flaxseed milled fine in a coffee grinder)
    4 c. oatmeal (old fashioned, or as thick-cut as you can find)
    1 bag mini semi sweet chocolate chips
    1 c. nuts (optional)

Cream butter and sugars well, then add eggs and vanilla and beat until well incorporated. Mix all dry ingredients except for oats in separate bowl, then add all at once and stir in as well as possible by hand before mixing with beaters until smooth. Add oats and chips (and nuts, if desired), and stir until well blended. Divide dough into five parts and line a 10x7 cookie sheet (with shallow sides, like a jellyroll pan) with foil, then spray foil with nonstick spray. Spread 1/5 of the dough into the foil-lined pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. When done, simply lift out the bars by the foil and place another piece of foil into the pan and spray for the next batch. Allow to cool at least slightly before cutting each pan of bars into eighths. Makes 40 bars.

ETA: have you tried fenugreek or any other supplements?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I want to be clear I totally support you!

Even if you show me a million studies saying how great BM is when the mother smokes I would say that it truely makes me ill to think about!
    This is an interesting news article about the future effects on the child.
    http://www.apparenting.com/smoking-while-nursing.html
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I want to be clear I totally support you!

Even if you show me a million studies saying how great BM is when the mother smokes I would say that it truely makes me ill to think about!
    This is an interesting news article about the future effects on the child.
    http://www.apparenting.com/smoking-while-nursing.html

I totally agree with you!!!! I think its very sad that she is smoking. I'm a full grown adult and the smell of it makes me sick. I can't imagine how it smells to a baby. My cousin is a nurse and told her that even the smoke particles on her clothes can harm the baby. I'm not sure what I can do or say to her as she isn't going to stop unless she wants to.

I tried taking fenugreek but it gives me bad headaches so I switched to more milk plus. I'm taking 4 tablets a day wonder if I can up that amount.

I had luck with Mother's Milk tea. Keep up the good work mama!

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Have you tried Mothers Milk Tea? I had bought some while Pg and had way too much milk in the first place I accidentally grabbed the wrong teabag once and oh man I could have fed 3-4 kids that day!!

Also, like Amy said, Oatmeal can help tons too! I had to stop eating it until DS got older and things finally evened out because of the abundance of milk

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

How many glasses a day are you supposed to drink with the mothers tea? How long does it normally take to notice a difference. I don't like the taste of it but I'll give it another go.