Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking and supply

Default Smoking and supply

So last night I was talking to my best friend. Her baby is 2 months old my LO is 4 weeks old. So anyways I'm venting to her about my supply problem. She said that in the last 2 weeks her supply has been super low as well. So I said well you did start smoking again. At that point she started crying and saying how bad she felt. She says she is going to stop but will she even be able to get her supply back up if she stops. We are both trying to be very supportive of each other during our breast feeding adventure. I think we figured out the cause of her supply problem now if I could just figure out the cause of mine.

Default Re: Smoking and supply

I don't even know what to say about this except that as a person who smoked for 16 years , I am shocked that she would nurse while smoking. Supply issues are just one problem; how about the baby getting the effects of the chemicals nicotine, etc! Honestly I would normally never suggest formula, but if someone can't quit (or worse RESTARTS SMOKING) then they should FF.

What is your supply issue.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

to both of you. It's hard in the beginning. What makes you think you have low supply? Here is a great link on how supply works and what to do if you are low.

As for your friend, it's great that you are there to support her. Maybe she can get enrolled into a support program? I'm sorry I don't know a lot of smoking and its effects on supply. Good luck to you both.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Not true, the benefits of BFing outweigh the risks of smoking while doing so. Your friend is not a bad mom, only human.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

my SIL smokes and nurses...

whats going on with your supply? what makes you think its low?
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

did your friend quit while she was pregnant? If so, encourage her a LOT. If she can quit for 9 months she can stay smoke free indefinitely if she puts her mind to it.

Use-to-be-smoker here

and as for your supply, what is baby's output?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I know my supply is low because of weight gain issues and the feed tests I've been doing. I rented a scale and I've been keeping track of how much milk I transfer to my DD. Most of the time I'm giving her between .4 and .9 oz that is total from both breasts after a 20 to 30 minutes. Every once in a while I'm able to give her between 1.2 and 1.7 oz but thats normally like once out of a 24 hour period. I don't know what happened to my supply as my LO passed her birth weight by her 2 week check up. Then all of sudden my milk just went down. I wish I knew what the cause was. I am working with a IBCLC but so far we haven't figured out the reason.

As for my friend well I agree that she shouldn't be smoking and nursing. I'm not sure if she smoked when she was pregnant. She did tell us all that she quit however, I did smell it on her now and then. I'm very sensitive to smoke espically when I'm preggo makes me want to vomit. It makes me upset that I'm struggling with my supply and her supply was just fine until she started smoking. I would do anything for a nice ample milk supply.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*only.woman.in.the.house View Post
    Not true, the benefits of BFing outweigh the risks of smoking while doing so. Your friend is not a bad mom, only human.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html
    what she said
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yes if you are going to smoke then you should most definitely breastfeed!

how often are your nursing? Are you feeding on demand?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet