Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning and mama's emotions

Exclamation weaning and mama's emotions

This really isn't a question, just a vent and looking for support. I am starting to wean my 10 month old today. I feel silly because I am so upset about it. Especially since I have a lengthy weaning plan that will span 2 more months or so. Just today is the first day that I am reducing her nursing. I have had the blessing of having a job that allowed me to go to her day care and nurse her twice a day. Today I will only go once and I feel like my heart is breaking. I know that it may seem dramatic but that is how I feel. The reason why I'm doing this is because I'm about to change jobs and will only be able to go to her day care once a day. A few weeks ago I was upset that I would have to send formula with her (I have pumped and continue to pump but don't have enough to send two bottles with her - one for her breakfast that I have always sent and then the one for her lunch time 11a feeding, the nursing time that I'm cutting out today). However, I think I'm over the formula vs. breastmilk thing because that is just what has to happen. I know that weaning has to happen sometime too. I'm just really struggeling with it this morning and feel like crying. I cried last night a little too, just thinking about today. I'm going to be one of those mamas that cry at every little milestone and sign of independence.
    I don't know, I just thought I would post here because none of my friends really breastfed for as long as I have and didn't seem to have the attachment/commitment to breastfeeding that I do.
    Thanks for any thoughts or support!

Default Re: weaning and mama's emotions

I can sympathise with your situation. I am EBF my 6 mo old son and know that I will also be an emotional mess when the time comes to wean. I plan to take it slow like you, and may plan to nurse one or two times a day even after the 12 mo point. In the meantime just give your child lots of huggs and kisses.

I have 3 older children and a 3 week old- all of whom I've been able to nurse. So I've weaned 3 of them and can definately understand what you're going through. I wasn't ever in a situation where my job required me to wean- and all 3 basically weaned themselves. But- even though I thought I was ready for them to wean, it still broke my heart when it happened. It is an emotional thing- you've been their primary support for so long- from pregnancy all the way through nursing them- and it's tough when that changes. I also know what you mean about the milestones. I had to work full time with the first 3- and I gave my sitters explicit instructions that if they reached any milestone-like rolling over, etc- while with them that they were NOT to tell me. That way if they did it with them I'd never know and would think that when I saw it for the first time I'd think I really was seeing it for the first time. My dh said I was nuts- I just couldn't stand them reaching those milestones without me there.

I'm in the process of weaning my 1 year old twins and am equally emotional about it. I remember feeling the same way when I weaned our older son. If it's any consolation, it ended up being less dramatic than I anticipated. I cried when I nursed him the last zillion times. Once all was said and done I looked back thinking that I shouldn't have gotten so upset about it. In other words, it was hard but I was surprisingly able to move on rather quickly. It gets better when they get older. You have a lot to look forward to.