Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage?

Default Re: Storage?

Thank you all for your replies. You've made me feel so much better.

I the suggestion of testing the frozen milk is an excellent one that I never would have known about! Thank you! I will do that tonight. I would hate to have all this frozen milk that wouldn't be used.

As for the deep freeze, I mentioned it to my husband and he dismissed it immediately. I'm going to try again, though. I think it would be a good idea even for the future.

I was able to get a fridge delivered to my room while at the hotel. I kept it refrigerated and froze it when I got to my sister's house (then transported the frozen milk in a cooler to come home). I drove, so it was easy to pack. I'm so glad I asked about a fridge.

I am continuing to see a slow increase in my daily production. Yesterday I got 5.25 oz! I know I'm still a long way from having enough, but I'm holding onto the hope that my babies will be much better at getting milk out of me than the pump is (BTW- the pump I use is the Medela Symphony, rented from a lactation consultant). And considering I thought I'd never get to breastfeed, since I don't get to be pregnant at all, I'm very pleased that I'm at least getting something. I feel like I will have contributed to my babies' health, even if I couldn't take care of them in the womb.

There are these bottles called snappies. They fit to the medela pump and the lid snaps right on. We use them in the NICU where I work and I use them when I pump at work. They are awesome and super convenient. I think the website to get them is www.snappiescontainer.com. They are really inexpensive, and they hold a little over 2oz.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    on the increase in production. You are amazing!

As for the deep chest freezer, quite frankly the milk you are pumping now will not stay good as long. It warrants making a decision with full disclosure on that. You are working so hard and I imagine you have been pumping a long time. In a regular fridge/freezer combo 6 months is the mac.
    I've been pumping since January 28th, but didn't have anything to save until February 1st (and that was only .25 oz). The babies are due July 2nd, but I expect they'll probably come in June (the doctor would prefer the first week of June, but we all agree that we'd rather let the babies decide if possible). So I'll end up with about 4-5 months worth of milk. In the beginning it was just a tiny amount (.25-1 oz per day). It has very slowly increased to the 5 oz I'm getting now. I don't know how much I'll have to supplement once they are here, so I have no clue how fast we'll go through my supply.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aubreynathanmommy1 View Post
    There are these bottles called snappies. They fit to the medela pump and the lid snaps right on. We use them in the NICU where I work and I use them when I pump at work. They are awesome and super convenient. I think the website to get them is www.snappiescontainer.com. They are really inexpensive, and they hold a little over 2oz.
    I've been using the bags, because I can freeze them flat and stack them on top of each other. Do you think these containers would be better? I'm starting to run out of room in my freezer! (another reason we should get that deep freeze, if I can just convince DH)

The main reason they are so easy is that they fit on the pump and you can feed directly from them (nipple attachment fits right on). But if your running out of room in the freezer the bags definately take up less space.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

The other day I thawed my oldest milk (the one with only .25 oz in it) and checked to see if it was okay. All is good! Whew! That's a relief.

I'm feeling better about the possibility that I'll be able to feed my babies. Yesterday I got a total of 5.25 oz!! If I keep my steady increase I should have enough for when they first get here and then they can help me with the rest!

Thanks for the support and encouragement. Funny how total strangers can be so much more supportive than family.
    Niki
    Expectant mom to twins via surrogacy
    inducing lactation through pumping alone (no meds!)

I just have to say that I think you are a for what you are doing. The effort you are putting forth is just amazing.

Oh - and tell your DH to get you a deep freeze, already!! You can get a good chest one for only a few hundred dollars. Compare that to how much bm is worth ($2-3/oz is the cost from a milk bank).

One more idea - once you've frozen the small bags, you can group them in gallon freezer bags by date. It made finding the oldest bag a lot easier for me, and protected the bags from leak-inducing dings.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Wow, you are amazing for what you are doing. Your twins are lucky to have such a caring mommy!! I also use the storage bags. I have found that the first years makes a storage box, it makes it so easy to organize by date and find what you are needing quickly. They do take up a bit of room, but IMO are totally worth it if you have a large stash.

Oh and congrats on your increase...
    Meri

WE , ,, and now

Proud BF mommy to Mason and Graham
    Check out my blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Lipase is an enzyme which breaks down the fats in mill but a few mamas produce excess and it caused the milk to taste soapy or rancid. The remedy is to scald the milk before freezing. But first just taste it. It is probably fine but better to know now than later.
    Wow, I didn't know this! The NICU nurses thawed out a bottle of my BM while DS was in the NICU and he fussed and fussed and wouldn't take it. We changed to the fresh milk I had just pumped and he took it all. Maybe this was the reason.