Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage?

Default Storage?

I'm attempting to induce lactation for my twins via surrogacy that are due July 2nd. Due to heart issues, I cannot take any of the meds OR herbs. So all I'm doing is pumping. I've been pumping for 8 weeks now. I'm no where near making enough to feed a baby exclusively (let alone two!), but I am making about 5 oz (total) per day.

My question is, how do you go about storing milk when it's in such small quantity? I get at most .75 oz in a single pumping and it seems silly to freeze such a tiny amount. I thought I was being smart by continuing to pump into the same bottles throughout the day so that I could bag and freeze it all together. However, my mother just reprimanded me, saying that I'm warming up the earlier milk and making it so that it won't last as long. I hadn't thought about that, but it does make sense. So now I'm afraid that all the milk I've stored the last 8 weeks is going to poison my children if/when they eat it.

So what do you do? How do you save the milk if it's such a tiny amount each time?

Default Re: Storage?

WOW mama. Induced lactation from just pumping? Kudos!

What do you store in? I would think that until your supply gets up there, you could use the plastic storage bags, at least they are more economical as far as just holding a little bit and freezing.

Good luck mama. And congrats on your babies on the way!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

You can combine milk together, as long as they are at the same temp. BM can stay at room temp. for up to 10 hours. When I pumped, I would just combine them into the same container until I had a good amount to freeze. This link from Kellymom should help. Good luck!!!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

I'm no where near making enough to feed a baby exclusively (let alone two!), but I am making about 5 oz (total) per day.
    What a fantastic result from pumping alone!!!

I thought I was being smart by continuing to pump into the same bottles throughout the day so that I could bag and freeze it all together. However, my mother just reprimanded me, saying that I'm warming up the earlier milk and making it so that it won't last as long.
    My LC actually recommended leaving the pump attached to the bottle of expressed milk and then pumping new, warm milk on top of refrigerated milk from the last session. She said it was safe to do thus 1 time before washing everything again... But I have a sneaking suspicion that it's okay to do it more times than once, especially if it's all going into the freezer where any germs will get frozen and destroyed.

To solve the storage problem, you might want to try keeping 3 bottles going. Bottle #1 has fresh-pumped, warm milk in it. Bottle #2 has milk that has been sitting in the fridge for a while and is nice and cool. Bottle #3 is your storage bottle. Every time you pump, you put bottle #1 in the fridge, pour the cooled milk from #2 into #3, and then wash #2 and pump into that bottle the next time. #3 never gets warmed up because all the milk that is poured into it has already had a chance to cool.

So now I'm afraid that all the milk I've stored the last 8 weeks is going to poison my children if/when they eat it.
    I really doubt it. But if there's any question in your mind, label the stuff you're not sure about and shove it to the back of the freezer. Hopefully you'll never need it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    My LC actually recommended leaving the pump attached to the bottle of expressed milk and then pumping new, warm milk on top of refrigerated milk from the last session. She said it was safe to do thus 1 time before washing everything again... But I have a sneaking suspicion that it's okay to do it more times than once, especially if it's all going into the freezer where any germs will get frozen and destroyed.
    This is what I've been doing. Only, I've done it about 8 times in a 24 hour period. Maybe I'm not totally poisoning my babies after all?

To solve the storage problem, you might want to try keeping 3 bottles going. Bottle #1 has fresh-pumped, warm milk in it. Bottle #2 has milk that has been sitting in the fridge for a while and is nice and cool. Bottle #3 is your storage bottle. Every time you pump, you put bottle #1 in the fridge, pour the cooled milk from #2 into #3, and then wash #2 and pump into that bottle the next time. #3 never gets warmed up because all the milk that is poured into it has already had a chance to cool.
    This may be what I end up doing. Except I'm going out of town tomorrow, so I don't think I'll have time to get more bottles (since I don't have the babies yet, I've just been using the same two bottles that came with my pump and storing in bags). And that's another panic I have... What to do with my milk while I'm out of town. I hate to pour it out, but I may not have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirlsmom View Post
    You can combine milk together, as long as they are at the same temp. BM can stay at room temp. for up to 10 hours. When I pumped, I would just combine them into the same container until I had a good amount to freeze. This link from Kellymom should help. Good luck!!!
    Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    You are a hero! Amazing!
    Thanks. Some days I feel insane for even trying... It's exhausting!
    Do you have a deep freezer to store the milk in? (sorry a little OT but all the other mamas answered your question well)
    Sadly, no. I'm using my side-by-side. I've been trying to convince my husband that we could use a deep freeze, but he's not convinced, even though we're starting to run out of room in the freezer.

First of all, re inducing lactation through pumping alone. You are amazing!!

And with pp re testing for lipase now - it would totally stink to discover that later, after you've frozen tons of milk!!

I would definitely push for a deep freezer. Side to side freezer-fridges are the least efficient at keeping things cold (less efficient than freezer-on-top or freezer-on-bottom models), and you don't want any of your precious bm to be wasted. You can get a chest freezer (the best kind for cold retention, since the cold air doesn't rush out when you open the lid, and also the cheapest) for $200-$300. We got ours because of milk, but discovered 2 other great benefits, which might convince your DH:

• Before DS was born, I cooked & froze a lot of his favorite meals, so we were able to have great food even when I had a newborn and was too tired to cook. I still cook ahead when I have extra time, and we can have great meals when life gets busy. This has saved us many times the cost of the freezer in unspent takeout $.
    • When things are on sale at the store, I can "stock up" and freeze them for later (if they're fresh and can be frozen) or keep them frozen (if they started out frozen). Again, this has saved us a lot of $.
    Good luck, and again, congrats. You are a real !!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

That is so awesome that you have relactated without any meds. I have been relacting too but with meds, I don't know if I would have had the patience to do without. to you because that is just so awesome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

What kind of pump do you have? I may have some storage bottles that fit it!
    Just let me know
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz