Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Six Month Old New Nurser

Default Six Month Old New Nurser

I have six month old twin boys, and for complicated reasons, since they were two weeks old, one has bf and I've had to exclusively pump for the other. At six months, the one that I've been pumping for has gotten jealous of his brother and wants to nurse. The bad part is he has no idea how to get let down. (He was great at it when he was a newborn.) Any ideas on how to help him?

Thanks!!!!

Default Re: Six Month Old New Nurser

Can you either pump, hand express, or have his brother nurse until you let down, then latch him on once your milk is flowing?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Can you either pump, hand express, or have his brother nurse until you let down, then latch him on once your milk is flowing?

Wow! You are a dedicated mommy to nurse one and pump for the other
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Thanks. I seem to have some luck hand expressing to get let down then letting him latch. I've tried bf both boys at the same time, and it's just a bad comedy. They are either playing with each other or kicking each other. More than anything I'm just wondering if he'll ever be able to get let down on his own. Can babies figure out how to do it again? He's so used to lazy bottle feeding techniques.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge about this but I would think that if you can get him nursing he will probably figure out how to get a letdown. Because once he's on there your milk flow will start and stop- so he'll be getting new letdowns while he's nursing and I would think that would help him learn how to do it on his own. Good luck! Let us know how things are going.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I just want to say -

Congrats momma!!!

How cute, he's jealous!!!!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008