Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping during night?

Default Pumping during night?

Just wondering, how much should i be getting up at night to pump? I'm 4 days into relactating, pumping every 2 hours during the day. i woke at 1am to pump last night but switched the alarm off when it went at 4am. it's still winter here in NZ so it's cold and hard to get up!!!

Default Re: Pumping during night?

When my twins were in the NICU I was pumping for them. I was pumping every 3 hours around the clock. I was so dead tired. I don't think it is necessary to do that. For me it was pretty important since I was trying to pump enough for two. I think you should probably pump every 2-3 hours during the day and then maybe allow yourself a little bit longer during the night to sleep. I would try letting yourself sleep 4-6 hours without pumping. Just my opinion.

Yes, my little guys were born in January and it is definately more difficult to drag yourself out of bed when you're all warm and cozy in bed.
    SAHW to C and SAHM to my identical boys J & A born 1/7/06 & my little girl K born 8/21/08.

I was only waking and pumping when he woke up to eat. so at most 2 times a night. there were lots of days where he slept through the night and i didn't do anything at all. goodluck
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Yeah i think it depends how old your little one is...for example Sara is 1, for the most part she sleep through the night, waking up for a feeding maybe once or twice a week. So maybe i should be pumping at night too, but i dont. I do pump last thing before going to bed and first thing after i wake up...

To get optimal results, you should pump at least ONCE during the night. I am a big culprit of turning the alarm off in my sleep!

Since I am trying to get supply booming quick (I am on WIC and I lose my benefits come October if DS isn't getting breastmilk. He'll still get formula either way but I want him on BM), I plan to *try* to wake up every 3 hours at night. So far, it hasn't happened so I've been making up for it by cluster pumping in the morning and before bed.

If you can bear to get up at least ONCE a night, you should be okay... But the more demand for milk, the more your body will make.

Good luck!

Ok, thanks. I woke at 1 again this morning and again, switched the alarm off when it went at 4am! I might try waking at 2.30 as a compromise instead. We have been leaving our heatpump on all day and night, at 16 degrees C, which makes getting up a little easier!