Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hindmilk-Foremilk and Pumping Qs

Default Hindmilk-Foremilk and Pumping Qs

I read through all this great info and realized that many of the problems we were having were related to my OALD or OS (still confused as to the difference.) Changing up positions (now I'm lying down or reclining) and feeding only one breast per session has helped a bunch and my 3wk old seems much happier.

I was pumping before in order to have relief bottles at night/etc., but stopped out of concern about OS. I will still pump a little when necessary from the unused breast (couple min just to ease the engorgement), but am not sure if I should be storing this milk since it is just foremilk. Would this exacerbate the symptoms? How do I know what is the "good" milk and what is causing his gassiness/green stool/etc.? And am I right to avoid pumping in order to deal with OALD/OS? If so, how can I get a break/sleep if I'm not pumping? Will I have to resort to formula?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to figure this out! Thanks

Default Re: Hindmilk-Foremilk and Pumping Qs

you're right in that pumping will not help OALD/OS It's best (while you're trying to get it all straightened out) to try not to offer bottles unless you absolutely have to. I know it's hard and tiring, but you can do this! Have you thought about block feeding?

Here's some info about block feeding
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/blockfeeding.htm

bbl with more

ETA: I forgot to ask, but how old is your baby?
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; March 30th, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I also think it's a good idea to stop pumping for a while. Depending on how old baby is, you might just need a little more time to let your supply regulate and adjust to baby's needs and that might solve some of your problems. Now that you are feeding on one breast per session it will take a few days for your supply to adjust accordingly and then the engorgement won't be an issue.

I'm not sure about saving the foremilk you are pumping. My gut says never waste breastmilk! Maybe you could add it to another batch of milk later if you pump a full breast's worth.

As far as getting sleep at night, is cosleeping an option for you? It's been a life saver for me. He wakes me up, I latch him on, and I go back to sleep.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I also think it's a good idea to stop pumping for a while. Depending on how old baby is, you might just need a little more time to let your supply regulate and adjust to baby's needs and that might solve some of your problems. Now that you are feeding on one breast per session it will take a few days for your supply to adjust accordingly and then the engorgement won't be an issue. .

Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I have this same question, I'll keep searching existing posts to see if it's been answered. I'm pumping before feeding if I'm really engored to help slow my flow before my son eats. It has helped his comfort while nursing, but I worry that I'm only pumping foremilk. I do batch multiple sessions of pumped milk throughout the day and so it gets somewhat mixed once it's stored but I wonder if it will be a problem down the line if he gets bottles of my stored breastmilk that was primarily foremilk. I guess I could always mix it in with cereal and that should take care of any lacking calories. That's the only issue right?
    FTM to a (big) healthy baby boy born naturally in a water birth & in the caul 6/14/09 at 1:56a 8lbs, 11oz, 20.5"

From what I've seen, the foremilk not only is lacking calories, but is also really high in lactose, which is why it causes tummy troubles. Don't know if mixing it with cereal would prevent the tummy problems or not.