Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help please

Question need help please

Hi yall. I have a few question I'm hoping someone could answer for me. My 3month old dd was exclusively bf till she was 8wks old. At about 8 wks was when I got a touch of mastitas since then she has been fighting at the breast. She has on meds for reflux (zantac) which hasn't helped the nursing. I've seen both the lactation nurse and lll consultant in my area. We have done everything we can think of, breast compresions, nursing shields, sns, etc...nothings worked. I've decided today that I would like to exclusively pump and slowly if at all possible reintroduce the breast. My questions are. How many times a day should I pump to maintain a supply? Is it possible to exclusively pump? Is it possible to get my dd back on the breast after some x away? What bottles are best? I apperciate any advice and support. She is my last child and I hate to give it up, it breaks my heart to think about it. Thanks

Default Re: need help please

I pumped exclusively for 4-6 weeks. Some moms have gone much longer. I would pump everytime that you give baby the bottle. Then your body will hopefully produce just what you need. My routine was to feed with bottle then pump. Maybe your production will be high and you won't need to pump so often.

I had breast infections repeatedly in the first 6 months, but never had the situation that you are experiencing with baby fighting at breast. Hmm... glad you went to the pros on this one.

My son hated every bottle for the first 3-4 bottle days then he would take any bottle that I gave him.

*bump*
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Hi Mama! I want to encourage you not to give up with the nursing. This breast-fighting is probably temporary, and if you stick with it, it should pass. Baby-wearing, lots of bare skin-to-skin time, feeding in a dark, quiet room, and co-sleeping may help your baby feel relaxed and feed without a fight. Expressing some milk onto the nipple before latching your baby on may remind her that there is milk in the breast, and it's worth sucking in order to get at it.

Is it possible to exclusively pump?
    It is possible to pump exclusively, and lots of moms do it, but it is much, MUCH harder than exclusive breastfeeding. Here's why:
    - It is often harder to maintain/increase supply with a pump because pumps are not as effective as babies at emptying the breast.
    - If it takes you 20 minutes to pump today, it's going to take you 20 minutes a year from now, and you're going to have to fit that 20 minutes- as well as all the bottle and pump part washing- into your busy schedule of taking care of an active baby.
    - If you breastfeed, you will not need to lug your pump around with you everywhere you go, and search for a clean place to pump.
    - Breastmilk from the breast is always clean and at the right temperature. Breastfeed and you will never need to listen to your baby cry while you warm up a bottle.
    - If you pump, you will need to store and worry about a lot of expressed milk. If the power goes out or the fridge breaks down, you could lose your whole stash.

How many times a day should I pump to maintain a supply?
    The answer to this question is different for every woman. Some moms need to pump extremely frequently, others can go longer periods between pumping sessions. If you choose the exclusive pumping path, start with frequent pumping- say, every 2 hours- and see what happens. If you are getting more than enough milk, you could elongate the intervals, but you could also keep them short and store the extra milk. It's up to you.

What bottles are best?
    Whatever bottle you choose, make sure it has a slow-flow nipple, which will give your baby milk at a rate that is most like the breast, and may make her more willing to go back to nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"