Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning because of surgery..HELP

Default Weaning because of surgery..HELP

I have recently been having major issues with my gallbladder. This latest stint I ended up in the hospital for 24hrs. I just got home and I was reading the medicine that they gave me LEVAQUIN(antibiotic) and it says that you shouldn't take it while BF. I am suppose to be on it until Wednesday when I have my gallbladder taken out and for 4days after that.

That makes me think that I am going to have to wean. I can't pump and dump for 9 days and go back to BF, I don't know if my LO would come back. I am upset because for 14months things have been going great. I knew that I was going to try to start weaning soon, but I didn't want it to be this way. How am I going to do it in that short amount of time anyway? My husband has been on me all day that I should just wean because he is worried about all of the medicine getting into her system and it is making me worry too, I just don't really know what to do here. I am also on Vicodin.

My main concern is right now my daughter WON'T drink more that 9oz of cows milk every day and 6 of those ounces are out of a bottle which we have been trying to get rid of too.

Please any input would be great.

Default Re: Weaning because of surgery..HELP

I searched Dr Hale's Medications & Mothers Milk on Amazon.com He is a very well-respected doctor and the go-to for the safety of medications during nursing.

Levaquin is catergorized as L3

http://www.amazon.com/reader/0981525...evaquin#reader
    From Kellymom (http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/..._risk_cat.html)

L3 MODERATELY SAFE:
    There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women, however the risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible; or, controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.
    Here is some info about gall bladder surgeries from KellyMom:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...surgery01.html

Did you ask your doctor if there is another medicine you can take?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thank you girls so much, I will definitely show this to my husband.

It sounds like your daughter is much older aswell, which is less of a concern than if you were nursing a newborn. He mentions watching the gut flora. You may want to take probiotics and give your daughter probiotics as preventative measures. This would hopefully ward off any yeast issues and/or diarrhea.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I took Levaquin when DD was very young. I took it for 21 days and made sure to take a lot of probiotics at the same time. DD had no apparent ill effects. I wouldn't give up nursing for an antibiotic. Good luck with your surgery.

BTW Kellymom also has good info on nursing and anesthesia too.
    Mama to:
    DS 12/14/05 10lbs. 3oz. 22.5"
    DD 01/26/08 8lbs. 5oz. 19.5"

Attachment parenting begins with leaving the foreskin attached. http://nocirc.org/

175****170****165****160****155****150****145

You have lots of great advice about the surgery/ meds already. I just wanted to say not to worry too much about your dd drinking cows milk.
    I just weaned my 22 month old and she probably only drinks maybe 2-4oz of soy milk on a good day. The rest of her fat/calcium she gets from yogurt, kefir, cheese etc... She is just not a big milk drinker.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

My DD was 12 months old when I had my gallbladder removed. We stopped nursing for a week. At the end of the week, she went right back to nursing like she had never stopped. But I am not going to lie to you, it was a very very hard week. She was miserable because she did not understand why she couldn't nurse. We got through it, but it was tough. You just need to do what you feel is right for you. Good luck with the surgery!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirlsmom View Post
    My DD was 12 months old when I had my gallbladder removed. We stopped nursing for a week. At the end of the week, she went right back to nursing like she had never stopped. But I am not going to lie to you, it was a very very hard week. She was miserable because she did not understand why she couldn't nurse. We got through it, but it was tough. You just need to do what you feel is right for you. Good luck with the surgery!
    I was just curious, why couldn't your DD nurse for a week?
    Mama to:
    DS 12/14/05 10lbs. 3oz. 22.5"
    DD 01/26/08 8lbs. 5oz. 19.5"

Attachment parenting begins with leaving the foreskin attached. http://nocirc.org/

175****170****165****160****155****150****145

TO the OP another route to take in addition to speaking with your hubby and doc is call your childs doctor and get their take on it.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lionsheart View Post
    I was just curious, why couldn't your DD nurse for a week?
    Because of all the different meds I was on during and after the surgery. I just didn't feel comfortable nursing during that time. I would have probably been ok, I just made the decision I thought was right at the time. If I had to do it again, I might make done some more research to see if I would have been ok continuing to nurse.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06