Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wanting to relactate

Default wanting to relactate

I bf/ff my baby for the first couple weeks... I had a really good supply that didnt dry up for almost 2 months. I decided to stop bf, mainly because I didnt have alot of support and it was super hard.

But now she is 5 months... and im really disapointed that I didnt try harder. I have started pumping again... Ive been doing alot in the evening and late evening.

Any tips? I am going to look into fenugreek.

Default Re: wanting to relactate

I would talk to your doctor about reglan or domperidone, motility medicines that have a side effect of increasing prolactin. Caution: reglan can cause depression in people with a history of depression. Domperidone is not widely available in the US but I have heard that there are some compounding pharmacies that are outside the scope of the FDA that can dispense it with an RX. It is available in Canada and Europe. A lot of mamas have had success with either of these.

I would also take blessed thistle and alfalfa and calcium/magnesium.

here is a helpful link:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/rel...resources.html

Also, do a lot of skin to skin with your LO and see if you can get her to latch on.

I have been relactating since december. I am currently taking domperdone and make about 12 ounces a day. I only bf my son for 2 weeks and then started relactating at about 5 months. It has been a long process but definately worth it. At the beginning I rented a hospital grade pump and would pump every 3 hours. I would hardly get anything but kept on. Now I get 2 to 3 oz a pump and about 4 to 5 oz when I pump in the morning. I wanted to get my son back to breast and at first I could have but wasn't making enough to keep him interested. Now that I make more he just bites me so I have given up that hope. But it is possible to relactate. Hope that helps if you have any other questions you can PM me. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Pump at least 10x a day, aim, for 12.

pump hands free by cutting holes in an old bra for the shields to slide through so you can supplement with the bottle while pumping or get a hands free bustier:

http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/

Thank you ladies... im a bit afraid to ask my doctor because I think he will think im ridiculous for trying to relactate.... I have heard fenugreek can help alot?

im a bit afraid to ask my doctor because I think he will think im ridiculous for trying to relactate....
    Who cares what he thinks? You're paying him to give you medical advice, not to judge you.

I have heard fenugreek can help alot?
    For some moms, yes, it can. And it can't hurt to try (unless you are diabetic- in that case, discuss it with your doctor).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't feel ridiculous. I wasn't sure how my doctor would be but she was totally supportive. You can also get it off of inhousepharmacy.com. That is where I get mine now. Cheaper than getting here in the states. Fenugreek helps but for me I don't think I would have been very successful without the dom. But thats just me everybody is different. Don't worry about what anybody else thinks you are doing something totally awesome for your baby and that is the most important thing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Thanks guys... I know I shouldnt' feel silly... but I just think people will judge because I didnt stick with it before.

started fenugreek last night... Im going to try 8 tabs a day. Ive started pumping like crazy too... so we'll see!

www.kellymom.com has recommended dosage on their site. Basically if you don't smell like maple syrup you are not taking enough. I took 3 capsules 3 times a day. Look into blessed thistle as well. I think I took 2 caps 3 times a day.

When your LO is sleepy and wanting to comfort suck, I would go ahead and try latching her on now. Make sure she's not hungry and likely to get fussy if you aren't producing milk yet. Do a lot of skin to skin time with baby too.
    Last edited by @llli*sixyearplan; March 31st, 2009 at 12:02 PM.