Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, Huh

Default Well, Huh

I've never had this problem before. I have a baby who will absolutely, positively not take a bottle. No bottle. No dropper. No cup. If it's ain't the tap, L won't eat . It fits with this kid's personality of hating everything but me My others were cool with taking a bottle.

Went to work today, saw my patients and came home 6.5 hours later, fully expecting DH to tell me that L had had 2 oz of fresh pumped, like he had last time I worked. But DH said L wouldn't even allow the bottle in his mouth. It's the same bottle as last time, from which he drank a couple ounces. DH apparently tried the other bottles I have laying around, along with alternative feeding methods, with no success. L just cried the whole time. DH was worn out (now he knows how I feel!).

I'm concerned, not that he's going to starve, my chubby baby, but because I really, really would like to start picking up a shift during the week in April to make extra money, and I have clients clamoring for me to pick up more hours, and I can't leave L with a dcp if he won't eat. All he did was cry, apparently. I know part of that was from hunger, part from wanting me, part from being sleepy.

I dunno why I'm posting
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Well, Huh

My DD absolutely will not take a bottle.

I know you're a vet, so this may be a crazy question, but could you work with him on your back?

I know how it feels to think that you can't leave them for long. I recently started working just 1-2 short shifts a week at a breastfeeding boutique where I can wear DD. I don't know what I'll do in the fall when classes start again, but she'll be older.

Anyhow...
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I had a client just today, who was soooo happy I was back and begging me to pick up more hours and will probably be coming in a bit more frequently in the next few months and only wants to see me, suggest bringing him to work. But he cries a lot. Even when he's "happy." This is not a cheerful, quiet baby by any stretch of the word, and he's honestly pretty distracting. I took Colton to work with me, and it was fine for a few months, but I'm not sure it will work well with Logan.

I might try it though, but only if I have good dogs to see. I had a Rottie today try to take my hand off when I went to listen to her heart. She was fine when I looked in her ears. Go figure.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I might try it though, but only if I have good dogs to see. I had a Rottie today try to take my hand off when I went to listen to her heart. She was fine when I looked in her ears. Go figure.
    Geez Louise!! Yeah, I kind of figured it could be tricky, depending on the critters you see.

Maybe Logan will decide that a veterinary office is a fine place to chill. Quietly.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Can you work shorter shifts, or break up your day to come and nurse him and go back to work?

Can your hubby bring him to you?
    I'm not sure if this would work, but I had a friend who bought this for her husband to use to feed the baby.
    http://www.zoebonline.com/adiri-natu...es-stage2.html

Here is another link that may help..
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bottle.html

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Can your hubby bring him to you?
    that might be great for both of you.
    It takes kids 6-8 weeks to get used to something new.
    give it some more time, next time he will cry less for your hubby

Which bottles have you tried?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Susan. Do you think he might start accepting the bottle after a few days? If he's taken the bottle before, maybe he was just having an off day.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Susan. We went through the same thing for about a week and a half when I returned to work. It was not fun for DH, Ryan or me. We finally got him to take the Dr. Browns nipple. After absolutley refusing every other nipple to even touch his lips, he took that nipple like he had been doing it for years!! It did help to run the nipple under warm water to warm the nipple a bit. I was also going to try the Breastflow bottle by Evenflow or First Years (can't remember which) but I had to order it online and he ended up taking the Dr. Browns before I got around to ordering it. If you want to try the Adiri bottle, let me know and I will send mine to you for shipping. It is just sitting here not being used and that stinks since I paid $13 for it. Maybe also try having your DH hold L nice and snug, and then hold the bottle in his armpit to make it more like he is nursing.

Goodluck, this is hard for everyone involved!!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70