Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Shields vs No Shields

Red face Nipple Shields vs No Shields

Hi. I am new here and need a little help. My darling Daughter is now 5 weeks old and is doing very well on BF. It was a roughtroad for the first couple of weeks(jaundice) and she dropped a pound from the time she left the hospital but, last week I am happy to say that she gained 9 ounces. She was 9.4 when she was born and is now 9.7

My question is this. I have been using a nipple shield with her since week one. The LC suggested it and it has been working just fine actually great. It is a little annoying to have to always remember it when we go out. Is there any reason that I shouldn't be using it and be trying to get her to go without it. She is getting good milk flow with it on and it really doesn't bother me either way.

Any advice either way would be great. Thanks in advance

Hanna's Mom

Default Re: Nipple Shields vs No Shields

Welcome!

From what I understood when I used a shield with my baby, the shield prevents your breast from getting stimulated as much, which can lead to supply problems in the long run. So it's not a good idea to use it long term.

My son was a preemie (30 weeks) so his mouth was just too small and his suck too weak at first, so I had to use a shield. We called it the Bionic Boob. I remember what a pain it was to cart around, especially when my son was rooting and I had to hold him back until I had that thing attached properly!

When I weaned my baby off the shield, I picked one feeding and saw how my baby handled feeding from me directly. If he fussed and wouldn't latch after about 5 minutes, I used the shield. But I kept at it and finally he got comfy doing it once a day; so I began doing it twice, and so on. After a few days doing a few feedings like this I tried to see if he would feed right from me all day, and he did!

The nice thing about the shield is that it isn't quite the same as a bottle, so I think the transition to breast is easier.

Hanna's mom--Hello and congratulations on your little one! My 15 mo. old and I used NS dependently as well. I began getting clogged milk ducts and there was a slight concern about supply (he was gaining..slowly). I linked both of these things with The Shield. At about 9 weeks, I bit the bullet and decided to get him off the thing. So, I got him latched on and milk down with the NS, long enough to pull out the nipple; then, I'd "un-latch" him, pull of the shield and he latched right back on on his own!! What a big step for us!! I was so surprised and thankful and wished that I had tried that sooner. (: Not too many weeks (maybe a month or two) we got rid of the thing for good.

Next time around (7 mos. and counting ), we'll do EVERYthing we can to not use NS. I recently read on a post about the success a mother had by simply using an ice cube at each feeding to "stick out" her nippy. Cold? I'm sure....but I think I'll try it.

So, how's it going? How's your little one doing?

The concern with supply was more of a concern when the sheild were made from rubber instead of silicone. Todays shields allow for much more stimulation. We used a shield until dd was about 10 weeks. We had lots of problems in the beginning and the shield allowed us to establish a good nursing relationship. When she was about 8 weeks, I too, got fed up with toting the ns around and decided it was time. I did the same thing as asheumaker...I would get the milk flowing and then unlatch dd, remove the shield and then relatch. Sometimes we were successful and sometimes we weren't. I was just very patient about it. When it finally happened, it happened all at once and then she started to refuse the shield altogether. I still carried a sterile one around with me for about 3 months, just in case . But now we have been nursing shield free and she is 8 months old!

Best wishes to you and your lo in whatever you decide.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna's mom
    Hi. I am new here and need a little help. My darling Daughter is now 5 weeks old and is doing very well on BF. It was a roughtroad for the first couple of weeks(jaundice) and she dropped a pound from the time she left the hospital but, last week I am happy to say that she gained 9 ounces. She was 9.4 when she was born and is now 9.7

My question is this. I have been using a nipple shield with her since week one. The LC suggested it and it has been working just fine actually great. It is a little annoying to have to always remember it when we go out. Is there any reason that I shouldn't be using it and be trying to get her to go without it. She is getting good milk flow with it on and it really doesn't bother me either way.

Any advice either way would be great. Thanks in advance

Hanna's Mom
    Oh I feel ya, my DD is almost 11 months old and still won't latch on without it, every time I almost got her weaned, we landed right back in the hossy for apnea or reflux of something else and she refused to nurse without it there, now she won't touch my nipple without it on. One way I remember it, it is always with me in my bra, between my boobs wrapped up in a washcloth. I don't leave home without it. I have heard of some people not having a good supply with using one, myself, I have a oversupply and donate milk also, I guess everyone is just diffrent. Good Luck and I hope some of this helps.

I have a six week old and have been using a shield since it was recommended to me by the hospital nursing staff. I really wish I would have followed my own instincts and been more patient to help her latch on naturally in the beginning. At first I found the shield to be a hassle more than anything. It is a hassle to tote it around yes but also my daughter has a bad habit of knocking/pulling it off while nursing which is a big mess. It can also be very painful nursing with the shield. But more recently I have found that she is having a hard time actually nursing. With the encouragement from the forums, I am working more on weaning her and it is going very well. I would highly recommend not using the shield unless you have to, or weaning her off as soon as possible! Good luck to you.

Smile Re: Nipple Shields vs No Shields

try taking off the shield gradually until you are fine without it. i use nipple shield on the first month but i gradually took it off because its hard to feed with it specially when we are out. just endure the pain. it will go out gradually too!

bump

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

We've been using once since DD was about two weeks old. She's now over 9 weeks. Every time I've tried to get her to latch without it, she just shakes her head back and forth like she can't find the nipple. She then starts to cry. I wish she could learn to latch without it, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen any time soon. I keep trying, although probably not as often as I should.