Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help... please???

Unhappy help... please???

i have a 14 mo old daughter and a son who will be 2 weeks tomorrow. i was unsuccessful bf my daughter so i was determined to bf my son. of course i had latch-on issues with him as well, so i used the hand pump to pump and bottle feed him my breast milk. unfortunately i couldn't always pump like i should have because i had to chase my daughter everywhere. and now i don't think i'm producing any more milk. i want to continue to make sure that he is gettin the breast milk because i know how healthy it is for him, but i'm not sure how to get my milk supply back. can anyone help me??

Default Re: help... please???

The best thing you can do is get him back to the breast. The more he nurses the more milk you will produce. Pumping does not stimulate you milk production like nursing does. A baby is much more efficient. Have you had your latch checked by an LC? I didn't know LC's would come to the house and I am a very "visual" person. I found Dr. Jack Newmans site very helpful. After watching those videos I latched my son all by myself without any pain. Maybe those vids will help you too. You'll know you have enough milk by how many wets/dirty diapers your LO has in 24 hours. HTH. Let us know if there's anything else wecan do to help.

i have watched so many vids and even had a nurse help me w/the latching on but no matter what i can't seem to get it by myself. at first i thought his "suck reflex" wasn't strong enough but then he started sucking so hard my nipples actually bled. i'm just so lost on all this stuff. i thought bf was supposed to be easier??

I'm so sorry, I went through 6 weeks of sore nips before things started panning out. It takes a while to get the hang of it. I remember it hurt so bad I would curl my toes every time DS would latch. My nips bled too. All was well at the 6 month mark. I hope it gets better for you soon. Seriously though, the only way to get your milk back is to nurse nurse nurse.

ok. thanks so much for your help.

No prob, I wish I could help you more. It must be so frustrating to have all that help and still have trouble. I've been where you are and I truly and sorry. Hope things get better for you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by liltyrtle View Post
    i have watched so many vids and even had a nurse help me w/the latching on but no matter what i can't seem to get it by myself. at first i thought his "suck reflex" wasn't strong enough but then he started sucking so hard my nipples actually bled. i'm just so lost on all this stuff. i thought bf was supposed to be easier??
    BFing can be very difficult in the beginning for many women. It can take several visits, and some longer term consultation with an IBCLC or LLL leader before you are able to "get it by yourself". I'd strongly urge to contact a local LLL leader or LC and get some more in person help. It is very common in the beginning to have latch problems, but as AJsmommy said, the best thing to increase your supply is to get baby to the breast. Also, while its difficult in the beginning, in the long run nursing is so much easier than having to pump and then bottle feed.

Hi there!

I strongly suggest you contact a local LLL Leader (click the link in my signature to find one) or an IBCLC (find one at www.ilca.org) to help you out with latching.

If your nipples were bleeding then he wasn't latched correctly. Pure and simple. As a PP put it, the best way to get your milk supply up is to get him to the breast as often as possible.

I hate to just tell you to find help locally, but when it's a latch issue, it's hard for us to help here because we can't see you in-person

Hugs.
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!