Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! About to give up on BF!

Unhappy HELP! About to give up on BF!

HELP!

My baby will be 2 weeks old on Tuesday and BF is not going so well. She started out in the hospital going from her birthweight of 8.9 down to 7.14. Day after release went to Dr. for weight check and was down to 7.13. Suggested supplementing with formula, which we did only twice and my milk came in that very night. Went back to Dr. 4 days later and she was up to 8.2. Go back for another check on Tuesday. So thats the medical background - here is what has been going on.

For the first week or so, she was eating about every 3 hours (from end of feed to start of next feed). She would sleep for 4 or 5 hours strait in the night. And for EVERY feed I had to wake her and she fell asleep EACH and EVERY time on the breast after a minute or two of sucking. Then began the hour or hour and a half long game to wake her for the feed, each time waking only long enough to suck for a minute or two. I tried IT ALL - tickling feet, wet washcloth, rubbing body, diaper change, clothes removed, rubbing cheek, ears, hands, armpits, you name it!

About 3 or 4 days ago she finally started sucking about 8 minutes each time which drastically changed things. Feedings were shorter and I felt like she was finally learning to eat and stay awake at the breast.

But now it has gotten so much worse. Over the past two days she has hardly slept at all. She wants to feed constantly. I'll start her on a feed that takes about 45 minutes to complete (still falls asleep a lot so actual suck/swallow time is more like 20 - 25 minutes). Regardless, it takes 45 minutes to feed her and in an hour or 30 min. she is rooting again and nothing takes the crying away unless I stick her back on and then she eats another full 45 min. again (and again, thats actually about 20 -25 min. actual feeding time).

She will not sleep during the day at all for more than 10 minutes after the boob puts her to sleep. Currently, she has gone 10 hours without a nap longer than 20 min. This is scaring me!

I have not once felt "the letdown" and my boobs seem to be back to their pre-pregnancy or at least pre-milk coming in size. They feel kind of saggy. Also have sharp pains on sides of boobs similar to the feel of an underwire pressing against side, but no underwire is in my bra.

Any ideas?? Does anyone think that this is related to the won't sleep issue??

Default Re: HELP! About to give up on BF!

First of all, getting started with BFing is harder than most of it think it should be. (We have breasts, babies need to eat, it should be simple, right?) It takes some learning and support for both of you in the beginning. Hang in there! It does get better. You've already noticed some of that with her staying awake better and the feedings getting shorter.

Your lo is probably going through a growth spurt right now. (Two weeks is a good time for one.) Here's some info about that http://www.llli.org/FAQ/spurt.html. That's why is seems like all she wants to do is eat and why your breasts feel different. My son would eat for a couple of days straight, then sleep for another couple of days after that.

When do you feel the sharp pains? I didn't realize what a let down felt like for the first couple of weeks--everything just felt so weird and being engorged was painful.

Don't hesitate to call a LLL Leader. It is so nice to talk to someone and get some answers and hear that things are really pretty normal.

I'm sure you will here very soon from a Leader with more specific help but I just wanted to say that you described my little one perfectly so I know what you are going through. Even the weigh loss similariities and the milk coming in when you thought you had to give up!! I also never felt my let down initally. It took a couple of weeks for some reason. It will get better very soon. What you are describing about your little one sounds normal. The constant feeding is likely a growth spurt. This site has some excellent information in the Resources section. Just be reassured that the constant eating is normal, especially during a growth spurt time. Round the clock nursing every hour is what I had with my daugher during her growth spurts. She would also fuss at the breast too. It isn't related to a lack of supply as long as your little one is wetting and pooping. How is her diaper output?

Keep up the good work. And use this forum to vent, chat, etc. It was a godsend to me in the early days.

I'm so glad you guys responded so quickly... Just to know that others have experienced similar circumstances is comforting.

I have to admit - my hubbie and I were so frustrated a little bit ago, we got out a bit of the formula the Dr. gave us and gave her some out of fear that she wasn't getting enough from my own breasts. We gave her one ounce of it. I have been so against formula, but I got so upset I was willing to do anything for my little girl.

The pain I feel on the sides of my breasts are very mild and mostly just on one of them. Its kind of throbbing and mostly between feeds.

Is it normal for my breasts to look kind of small agian and feel soft & saggy?? Pre-pregnancy, I was a bit on the small side - size 36 B - but always perky and firm. Then when the milk came in I looked like Pamela Anderson. Now they look like they belong to a 50 year old. Could this be a sign of bad milk??

Also, again I am asking about the sleeping. Yesterday she went 7 hours with no nap longer than 10 -20 min. and now today its been over 10 hours! My brother is finishing his 4th year of med school - going into Peds - and he sounded alarmed when I told him.

I really appreciate the support you ladies are offering me. I feel like such an idiot for not reading more about BF before I gave birth. I had no idea how difficult it would be. I'm so glad I found this site.

How do I get in touch with a LLL??

Quote Originally Posted by jenpbarr View Post
    How do I get in touch with a LLL??
    I think it is an excellent idea for you to contact your La Leche League leader. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Regarding your breasts feeling soft ... this is not a good indicator of your milk supply. Once your breasts go through the initial engorgement you shouldn't be feeling hard and full like that all the time.

What are your baby's diaper outputs like? If you are seeing 5-6 wet diapers a day (or 6-8 cloth diapers), then most likely your supply is just fine. See: How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk? I would STRONGLY discourage supplementing with formula. This will only hurt your supply in the end. Your breasts make milk according to supply and demand. And in the early weeks your baby is telling your body how much it needs to make to match her needs.

It sounds like your body is starting to regulate your milk supply to meet your little one's needs more efficiently. At this time many will see a decrease in pumping output, their breasts will feel "emptier" and notice other changes that may lead you to believe your supply is "low" when in fact it's just becoming more efficient. See these links for more info:

Is your milk supply really low?
    My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased?

Let us know how things progress for you. Good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; December 3rd, 2006 at 06:33 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Here are a couple more links you might find helpful:

Growth Spurts from LLL
    Frequent Nursing
    Growth Spurts

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Hi!
    I agree with the pp! THose are some great links that Annie gave you too. A nurse told me the first 2 weeks were the hardest...and I mostly agree with that...it was a big learning curve. But if you can just get through it, one feeding at a time (sometimes thats how you have to think of it), I promise it gets so much better. I was laying in bed today looking at my almost 5 month old, who just rolls over and latches on now, and I can't believe he is the same little guy that I posted cries of Help about!! He is a nursing champ these days...where does the time go?

This site is such a wonderful resource and it is (IMHO) the best tool a BFing mother can have. BF isn's easy to start out, and even when you get over that initial 2 week hump...there will be challenges...but it gets so much easier every day.

I can't echo enough the thing about the diaper output...2-3 poopies and 5-6 wets...and you are all good! Also, it sounds like your LO is gaining now. Good job mama!! You can do it, and its great that you have a supportive DH too. to you...It will get better and welcome to the forum!

Paint the Moon:

I found that there are two groups where I live that each meet once a month but no phone numbers to contact anyone. Luckily, this Thursday a group is meeting within walking distance of my house. I am def. going to go check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

"Regarding your breasts feeling soft ... this is not a good indicator of your milk supply. Once your breasts go through the initial engorgement you shouldn't be feeling hard and full like that all the time"

I am confused by what you are saying. they are not feeling hard and full like that all the time. They feel a bit soft. Though right before a feeding they do get harder.

Lots and lots of poops & wets. Can't count them! Diaper always soaked, heavy and full of mustard yellow seedy poop (ick!)

I don't think I would worry about the cat napping while she is going through a growth spurt. Is she fussy in with being awake? Are you holding her for naps or trying to put her down? (Holding her will probably get you longer naps.)

Your breasts are likely to feel especially "empty" while your lo is going through a growth spurt, but your body is constantly producing milk and at the same time it is getting the signal to produce more. And thank goodness the "Pamela Anderson" stage doesn't last forever!

I wasn't very prepared to BF either (thought it would just come naturally), but an experienced BFing mom (who's also an IBCLC and LLLL) and my sister have been a huge help. Going to LLL meetings has also been really helpful. You can do this!

Hi there!

Just echoing paint-the-moon (for the second time today, paint!) This sounds like a growth spurt. Remember I told you in your other thread that your baby would probably wake up soon and want to eat all the time? That time is here, mama!

Paint-the-Moon wrote: Regarding your breasts feeling soft ... this is not a good indicator of your milk supply. Once your breasts go through the initial engorgement you shouldn't be feeling hard and full like that all the time.
    I'm going to clarify here. When I first read the above, it threw me for a minute, because I thought she was saying that the breasts feeling soft might mean that you had low supply. Then I re-read it and realized she was saying it's NORMAL to have softer breasts after a while. It sounded like maybe that confused you too. So hopefully we're all straight on that!

Regarding the pains in your breasts. . . it's hard to say. I'll pass on a link to you: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html Hopefully that will help you.

Hang in there! This will pass in a few days!
    Let me know if you have more questions.
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!