Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Struggling to maintain supply

Default Struggling to maintain supply

We went on a 4 day vacation with my 7 month old daughter and now, my milk supply has dropped off. Normally, I pump at work 3 times (which is how often she eats when at daycare) and easily get enough milk for her, but on vacation I just feed her myself and pumped at night before I went to bed. I am now struggling to keep up with her. I seem to be pumping about a third less milk total from each pumping session. I've pumped 4 times so far today and have a little over 2 bottles worth of milk for her for next week. What could have happened? What can I do? I've increased my pumping routine to every two hours during the day, but seem to only get 2 oz max from each side. I am using a medela pump and style double pump. Help!

Default Re: Struggling to maintain supply

whatever you don't give p on breastfeeding. try eating oatmeal and drinking this herbal tea called "organic mother's milk". it had natural herbs in it that will increase your milk supply. i'm speaking from experience with the two. give it about 2-3 days to see a big difference in. til then pump and bf as often as possible.

oh... and by the way, you can find the tea at any herbal, natural, or wholefood store, and also your local GNC.

It took my body a while to get used to the pump, and every time I took a break from the pump (vacation, etc.) I had to get used to the pump all over again.

Have you tried fenugreek, or oatmeal, or mother's milk tea?

Also, are you pumping for 5 minutes after the milk stops flowing, to let your body know to produce more?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png