Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do know your LO is done?

Default Re: how do know your LO is done?

try saying no a few times and see how he reacts before you go treat yourself

You may not even like a lot of the foods that you think you are missing so badly.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    You may not even like a lot of the foods that you think you are missing so badly.
    A little educational moment.

For food allergy elimination diets - it's not just about "missing" foods.

Its about having to read ingredient labels for every single food that I eat because it might have a "hidden ingredient" that my DS is allergic to or have manufacturing cross-contamination.

Its about not being able to eat out or at friends' houses without alot of advance work and prep because there might be an allergen used in cooking.

Its about not being able to just pop into Starbucks (or wherever) to get a cookie or muffin when I need a snack - because they are made with things my DS is allergic to.

Food allergy elimination diets impact just about everything you might want to eat.

True - I may or may not end up "missing" some of the foods my DS is allergic to.

But I'd really like to be able to leave the house without having to worry about and research EVERY bite of food that enters my mouth.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    See ... that's my dilemma.

I'm trying to figure out how long I wait after what I *think* is the last time DS nurses before I can eat foods that he is allergic to.

What if DS comes back after a month and asks to nurse and does NOT accept "no" or alternatives, and meanwhile I've eaten things that he's allergic to. I've either got a VERY upset LO ... or I'm putting him at risk because of allergens in my breastmilk. Neither option very attractive.

Sigh.
    I think it won't be as bad as you think? I am currently weaning too.. my is younger 22 months but I just slowely cut out feedings. We were down to bedtime- same as you. Not nursing to sleep but nurse, books, bed. I just stop offering... and let Dh do bedtime. She might ask once or so but he would distract her.. "ohh look there is your pooh book. Want to read that one?" Its sat and she hasn't nursed since wed.. and prior to that it was Sun.. so she nurses every 3 days like twice and now I think we are done.. she never asks before bed anymore but during the say when she gets hungry/tired she asks and I just say... all done and offer a treat ( like juice, stories, soy milk or a snack)
    In your case since your has allergies.. .get him down to once every few days ( if he asks and you want to give in). See if he does and then you can compy. After a week or 2 of this if he can go 3 days without nursing I would think he wouldn't throw too much of a fit when you say no? Obviously you know your lo best.... but I think saying all done to a older toddler is acceptable in some degrees... Good Luck and kudos for nursing that long in a lo with allergies!!!!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I wanted to add also that at that age they can understand all gone...
    When you do finaly deside that your done, its ok to tell them look the milk is all done and there isn't any more to be had.
    When my dd weaned she was just over 4 and she only asked a few times in the month after she weaned and I just said sorry its all gone.
    would you like a drink of water instead?
    and she was fine with that.
    Sometimes they just need a little push to wean from that last feed and its ok to do that if your ready!
    moms fealings matter also if nursing's not working for you then its ok to wean.

ARe you planning any more babies at your house?

Thanks - I think I just need to be patient and take things day by day.

When I TALK to DS about "saying bye bye to mommy milk" or mommy milk being "all gone" he gets upset and says "I not ready! maybe later"

But when I give him the option at nap or bed of 1 book & mommy milk (and he can't pop on and off every 2 seconds) or 2 books with lots of talking (and flap books) ... so far he thinks that more books + being more interactive is a more attractive option.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)