Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and breastfeeding

Default Pumping and breastfeeding

Hi everyone,

I am a new mom to a beautiful 6 week old girl. Breastfeeding has been a challange but we are still hanging in there and it is getting easier. I have had a problem with my supply from the beginning but I think it is getting better because she seems happier and she is gaining weight.

I want to start pumping to have a little stash in the freezer for when I need a mommy day or when my husband and I take a night out. However, I am having difficulty getting started.

I have pumped a few times this week in the morning for 10 mins with a double pump. I get about 2 ounces total. If I pump in the afternoon I maybe get an ounce. The problem is I am pumping, then my baby wakes and wants to eat about an hour later. She gets really frustrated like there is nothing there for her?? Could this be true?

If I pump after I feed her I get drips of milk and it never accumulates to more than an ounce.

Is this a supply issue? Or am I doing something wrong? How long do you typicaly pump for? 10 minutes or longer? How do I breastfeed and pump to build a small supply?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: Pumping and breastfeeding

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*addisonsmommy View Post
    Hi everyone,I am a new mom to a beautiful 6 week old girl. Breastfeeding has been a challange but we are still hanging in there and it is getting easier. I have had a problem with my supply from the beginning but I think it is getting better because she seems happier and she is gaining weight.
    Congratulations on your new baby and

I have pumped a few times this week in the morning for 10 mins with a double pump. I get about 2 ounces total. If I pump in the afternoon I maybe get an ounce. The problem is I am pumping, then my baby wakes and wants to eat about an hour later. She gets really frustrated like there is nothing there for her?? Could this be true?
    2 ounces sounds about average for your lo's age. It's really common for your supply to be at it's best in the morning. Lots of women find that a good time to pump. There is plenty of milk in your breasts even if you pump before your lo wants to eat. Every time milk is removed from your body, it gets the signal to produce more right away. She is probably getting frustrated because the milk is not flowing as quickly as she would like.

If I pump after I feed her I get drips of milk and it never accumulates to more than an ounce.

Is this a supply issue? Or am I doing something wrong? How long do you typicaly pump for? 10 minutes or longer? How do I breastfeed and pump to build a small supply?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    I don't think that you have a supply issue. The best indication of your baby getting enough milk is weight gain and wet/poopy diapers. As long as those are on track, I wouldn't worry about your supply.

It's best to pump for 5-10 minutes after you see the last drops of milk come out. I would continue pumping in the morning to build your stash. Lots of women build their ounce by ounce!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Hey Mama! I agree, pumping in the morning is the best time! And I used to pump after I nursed her everytime, for awhile. 15 minutes maybe.

Good luck mama!

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

I also wanted to add that pumping takes practice just like breastfeeding. The more that you do it the better you will become.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thanks for all your help and support.