Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Difficulty

Default Pumping Difficulty

I am exclusively BFing my one-month old.

Now that my supply is established and she's getting used to BFing, I'm starting to express some milk to build up reserves in case I need to be away from her on the odd day or two.

However I can't seem to get much milk out via pumping. (I pump the extra milk when she only takes one breast, or in between feeds).

I've tried the Avent Manual Pump, and also the Medela Mini Electric.
    I would get a few spray of milk on the first couple of pumps, but then nothing. If I take the pump away and try again, the same thing happens (ie. a few sprays then zilch), until nothing comes out.

Sometimes I get less than an oz from both breasts at one pumping!

I know there is still milk in my breast because they still feel hard, and judging by my baby's feeding patterns, I'll like to believe there is more milk in my breast than 1oz at each session?!

I've considered it may be a let down problem. That perhaps somehow psychologically I can't let down when it is via pumping (baby never seems to have any problems). I've tried pumping with baby near me, and I even find myself running to the pump whenever I feel the pins-and-needles sensation (let down!) in my breasts just to see if the milk will flow better.

Somehow the situation doesn't quite improve.

Anyone has similar experiences/ advice?
    Will I get more efficient pumping as the days go by?

Default Re: Pumping Difficulty

Yes, you will probably be more efficient with the pumping after a while. Many moms find that it takes a while until they get the hang of using a pump. If you will only be pumping for occasional outings (not going back to work, for example) I wouldn't think it's necessary to invest in a bigger, more expensive pump. The ones you have should work.

You can try soaking two cabbage leaves in hot water for a minute or so, and then placing one on each breast. After about a minute or so, you can start pumping, I found that to work very well when hand expressing after my first was born.

that's good to know... that things should pick up after a while.
    will keep at it then.

thanks!

Hello !

Don't feel discouraged !! For myself, I had to practice during one month to get used to my pumping (at that time, this was the symphony from Medela).

Sarah is still breastfeed at about 15 months and I am still pumping à work.

Go on practicing !