Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I Add Additional Pumping Sessions?

Default Should I Add Additional Pumping Sessions?

Hi ladies,

I am new to the board but have been lurking around for quite some time. This forum helped me a lot with my breastfeeding journey & I am grateful to everyone for this.

A little background here - I am a FTWM who are breastfeeding my 14 month old daugther. I pump 4 times at work - 8.15am, 11.30am, 3.00pm & 5.30pm (need to pump this much to get enough quota to send to babysitter for the next day). My normal pump output will be 16 to 18oz per day & my daugther takes about 16oz at the babysitter. When I am home, I nurse & dont bottle feed or pump.

Lately I noticed my supply have dropped quite a lot & I have been dipping into my freezer stash. I understand with periods & all my supply will drop but even after my period, I still cant make enough to cover back whatever I've been taking from my freezer stash (normally I will send 12oz "fresh" EBM + 4oz frozen EBM to babysitter to rotate my stash). On some days I can only get 12oz from my pump sessions (which is kinda depressing cos I dont have a great supply to begin with). It's fluctuating every now & then & it's driving me crazy. I'm taking Mother's Milk Tea & it does help a little.

Do you think I should add another pumping session at night? My daugther is not very good with solids yet (she "takes" 2 solids meal per day at babysitter)& I am a bit nervous about the shrinking freezer stash.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Default Re: Should I Add Additional Pumping Sessions?

14 month old baby right?
    Info would be diffent if baby was younger

Does she sleep all night for you?

Have you had extra stress lately? That always gives my supply a hit. When it does, I take fenugreek - have you tried fenugreek? Or Mother's Milk Tea? Or oatmeal? Or even just drinking extra water?

I notice that you say you don't pump at home. What time does your DD go to bed - could you fit another session in after she's asleep, just to get a little more output? I know that for me, knowing I had pumped enough the day before (even if it was because of an extra session) helped me to relax enough at work that I was able to pump more there.

Hang in there, mama!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

andreafromohio,
    Yes, 14 mths going to be 15 mths soon. Nope, she still nurses at night.

imma2nonstopaa,
    Hmm....I would say no about extra stress cos I am tired all the time (from work + house hold chores etc etc) . I am already taking Mother's Milk Tea but have not tried fenugreek or oatmeal. My water intake is quite good too.

DD goes to bed at 8pm (I will nurse her to sleep) & from there on, she will wake up 5 - 6 times to nurse (till next morning). Do you think I will be able to squeeze in another pump session? I am not too thrill about pumping at home but if that's what it takes, I'll do it.

Thanks!

I would try squeezing in another session, if you can possibly find the time, after you put her to bed (ideally after an hour so you have some buildup). Tiredness also affects supply. Can you get your DH to do more around the house?

Wouldn't hurt to add fenugreek to the mix, either. For me, it added about 25-33% to my pumping output, which was huge.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

Ok. I think I'll have to lug the breastpump home everyday now, hehe. As for DH, he does help but not all the time cos he need to work at home too.

Will try fenugreek too. Thanks for sharing with me

Keeping and ing for you, mama!