Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 month old very thin & not interested in solids

Default 11 month old very thin & not interested in solids

My daughter is 11 months old and almost exclusively breastfeeds. We try to feed her food numerous time throughout the day...all kinds of types and ways. She just isn't very interested. Our pediatrician says that I am BFing her too much (she nurses tons throughout the day and night) and that at 11 months old breastmilk doesn't have enough nutritional value to sustain a child. She has not lost weight, but is barely gaining weight. She is in the 3rd percentile for weight, 60th for height, and 97th for head size. She is developmentally perfect (crawling, standing, cruising, pincer grasp, etc) and very very smart and social. Her dad and I are both tall/thin people...I wonder if she is just that way too. She has gradually dropped in the percentiles though. Is my ped incorrect in saying that breastmilk doesn't have enough nutritional value for an 11 month old? She says I have to cut back breastfeeding a lot in order to make her hungry for food. I am so upset about this and confused about what to do. Anyone else experienced similar?

Default Re: 11 month old very thin & not interested in solids

Your ped is wrong . Your BM is completely adequate for your LO and certainly more nutritionally sound for her at this age than any solids. My DD is similar and didn't show interest in solids until after 1 year. She's 16.5 months now and is still not too big on solids. She's developing great and head and height are right on, but she's skinny. My ped tries to worry me about it, too, but I know that DD will eat solids at her own pace (I can't force feed her) and in the meantime she'll continue to get the wonderful nutritional benefits from my BM. Hang in there, mama, and don't let the ped worry you too much. Your DD will start eating when she is ready! Just keep offering a variety of foods.

yup...

Keep a food diary I bet shes eating way more then you think she is.

And your milk is fine for toddler...

Doctor sears has some great info on his web site about feeding toddlers

http://www.askdrsears.com/

how to tell if your child is getting enough to eat

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T031100.asp

Ped is wrong.

My second child was almost just like you describe your LO. Long and lean. Looks like me. Looks like my DH.

Don't sweat it. Keep offering healthy choices. That's what my ped said to do and to NOT stop nursing, as breastmilk has enough nutrients on its own. Food just fills in the gaps, if that makes sense.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mizbluesmommy View Post
    Our pediatrician says that I am BFing her too much (she nurses tons throughout the day and night) and that at 11 months old breastmilk doesn't have enough nutritional value to sustain a child.
    My pediatrician would tell you the exact opposite. She would say "Until the first birthday, breastmilk meets all your baby's needs. Solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. After the first birthday, the transition from needing only breastmilk to a majority-solids diet is a gradual one, and many children do not eat much solid food until well into their second year. You cannot force a child to eat solids, so don't try. Just put a variety of healthful solids in front of her and eventually she will them into her mouth." If you're concerned about your baby's weight, try nursing her more, not less, since breastmilk has more calories than most solids. (See abstract.)

If you and your husband are tall, slender people, it's not surprising that your daughter is a tall, slender child! So long as she continues to grow in her height and head circumference, and keeps meeting her milestones, you can be sure that she is getting enough calories.

Don't let your pediatrician get under your skin!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If you're concerned about your baby's weight, try nursing her more, not less, since breastmilk has more calories than most solids.

This is something I think it's hard for most to understand (I know it was hard for me). But know BM does have more calories made me feel a million times better about my nursaholic !

thank you all so much for your responses!! initially my DH and I felt so much better after reading what you all wrote. then I had a friend come over who said, well maybe because she is such a quick nurser (always has been) that she's not getting the hind milk with all the fat in it and thats why she's not gaining weight like she should. is this possible? she was gaining 1 lb a month until she started crawling (8 mos) and since then she hasn't seemed to gain at all. really, nothing so much in 3 months!! i am really upset about this...even though part of me thinks I shouldn't worry b/c she seems to be fine, the mom part of me is really worried that she's not getting all that she needs and that if this keeps going that she is really going to suffer from malnutrition! am i totally paranoid?

Quick nurser does not equal not getting enough milk, especially as they get older. They just get more efficient. Is she having a decent amount of wet and soiled diapers? Normal bf baby poops? Does your breast feel quite a bit softer after she nurses?

My bfed babies dropped off in percentiles once they became mobile too. That is normal for a bfed baby. My 12 month old gained only 5 oz. between her 9 and 12 months appts.

I'd just keep offering her solids and possibly have her iron checked. What are you offering for solids? We do BLS which is baby led solids, offering our DD2 finger foods and letting her decide what to put in her mouth. Sliced fruits and veggies, cereal, shredded cheese, cooked beans...etc.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Sounds like our daughter. She is now 2.5 and weighs 22 lbs. She's a grazer, not an eater. But our pedi said so long as she remains consistent, all is well. She has always been around the 5th percentile...ped said she would be far more concerned if she walked in and, all of a sudden, was 50th percentile.

My son will be two next month and I exclusively breastfed him until two months ago when he was finally able to tolerate solids. He has some internal health issues, not related to breastfeeding, but to anyone meeting him for the first time, he looks like the picture of health. He is active, his iron levels are fine, and he is growing at his own pace. Lean, yes, but like yours, tall and with a substantial head (which is clearly full of working brain matter, as he is almost frighteningly smart). He hit all of his developmental milestones earlier than average, and continues to prefer nursing to solids, though he will now eat small quantities. It sounds like you are doing just fine!
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb