Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Herbs in food query

Default Herbs in food query

Hi all, new here, looking for some advice on herbs in foods and how they affect my milk. Today I had a bowl of soup my dad had made which I later found out had various herbs in it, none of which he could remember what they were. I have heard that herbs can be dangerous while breastfeeding and some can in fact dry up your milk. Is this the case in foods? How much would I need to eat for this to affect me? My main concern is the possibility of my milk drying up.

Default Re: Herbs in food query

I think for the most part you'd have to ingest a really large amount of an herb- or ingest them consistenly over a longer period of time- to affect your milk supply. I wouldn't start taking any herbal supplements without checking for their safety first, but I think you are ok with most culinary herbs in the amounts that they are generally used in cooking.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with Paige. My copy the "The Nursing Mother's Herbal" (good book BTW) is at home but really to do anything to your supply you have to consume a large amount of high potency herbs.

For instance peppermint. A cup of peppermint tea isn't going to dry up your milk supply but if you ate a can of Altoids a day for weeks you'd probably wonder why your supply was lower.

Cabbage is the only thing I can think of that really does some damage to your supply quicky. That's a very traditional way to dry up the supply. But you don't eat it. You put the chilled leaves in your bra. Actually eating cabbage is thought to be good for supply in a lot of cultures. A lot of Americans think it gives babies gas (which isn't true) so the point is, you'll be ok!

Here's a through list online of stuff to avoid but most of this stuff is not in your average american kitchen to use for cooking. http://kellymom.com/herbal/herbs_to_avoid.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I think for the most part you'd have to ingest a really large amount of an herb- or ingest them consistenly over a longer period of time- to affect your milk supply. I wouldn't start taking any herbal supplements without checking for their safety first, but I think you are ok with most culinary herbs in the amounts that they are generally used in cooking.

The only herbs I've heard of being used to reduce supply are peppermint, sage, and cabbage (which, as the PP pointed out, is used topically and isn't to my knowledge a problem if you just ingest it).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've heard parsley can reduce supply. I avoided tabouleh for months when I was first nursing Nora.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous