Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby EBF 9mos, occasional manual pumper, is it too late to buy medela (back to work)

Question baby EBF 9mos, occasional manual pumper, is it too late to buy medela (back to work)

hi everyone! my first post, please bear with me!

problem background:
    - 8mo son, 2x/day supplemental/solids feedings since 6mos
    - breastfed since birth (feed on demand, no schedule, average 6x/day)
    - starting to bite
    - co-sleeping (2x/night feeds)
    - currently stay at home, looking forward to start fulltime work soon
    - playtex manual pump
    - evenflo comfort battery pump

questions:
    - i want to build freezer stock, can i do it on my pumps mentioned above?
    - is it too late to buy an expensive pump now (baby being already 8mos) and just deal with my manual and battery pumps?
    - should i buy medela pump in style advance or freestyle? (to build stock and pump at work)

thank you so much for your time. looking forward to hearing from you !!

Default Re: baby EBF 9mos, occasional manual pumper, is it too late to buy medela (back to wo

i waited 4 months to buy a double pump and i kick myself for it. I have the Medela Free Style... and my milk production and what i get everytime i pump has increased. I LOVE this thing. Im not sure what i ever did without it! I bought mine off of craigslist and purchased new tubing and nipple attachments (they are like $10 at Target). So i got a $300 pump for about $150! DO IT!! =)

Mommy to Carter James
    Born 11/24/2008 - 8lbs 14oz and 21 1/2 Inches!
    Wife to Jim - March 18, 2006
    Proud to be a Breastfeeding Mommy! No Formula here! <4 Months Strong!>

Do your body good...Support Midwifery!!

Default Re: baby EBF 9mos, occasional manual pumper, is it too late to buy medela (back to wo

Just from experience I would def buy a double electric pump. Much more efficient and I found I get a much better output! And try and build up your freezer stash as much as possible. I'm kicking myself becuase I am down to my last bag and I have been pumping every free second to try and build up a supply but I'm barely keeping up.
    Mama to Aidan - 13 months

thanks for your replies! hope to hear from the others too!

on bestbuybaby.com, they have great prices. If you're going back to work, I would definitely spend the extra $ (only about $30 more) to get the Freestyle. It has all the features of the PISA, plus the portability factors, which are simply priceless. Being able to pump while driving/sweeping/etc. was a lifesaver for me.

Manual pumps are a PITA, IMHO. If you are working, you are not going to have time or energy for that. I don't think you would be able to pump enough that way, either.

I would look at this as an investment - in your LO, in your sanity, in your job. You will be a happier mama knowing that you can feed your LO bm, and you will have a much easier time pumping with a good pump. Check out the Freestyle!!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png