Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to wean if refuses bottle?

Default How to wean if refuses bottle?

I would like to TTC in the next few months and would like to wean beforehand. DS is 14mos old and I started offering milk in a sippy cup at 12mos. He still refuses to drink any cow's milk or soy milk. I have tried mixing in yogurt (which he loves) but he still won't accept it. I also tried mixing just a small amount of whole cow's milk with EBM, the result was that he now refuses to drink even pure EBM from a bottle or sippy. I have tried 3 different types of bottles, 4 different sippy cups even "big boy" cups. He drinks water and dilute juice fine out of all of them, but refuses milk. He examines the bottom of every cup and won't even try a sip if the contents aren't clear. We currently nurse 3 to 4 times a day. DS is small, 5th percentile in weight and 25th in height. He is reaching all his milestones well, but I am afraid to drop any more nursing sessions without making up for the calories some other way. He eats solids well, but sporadically as most toddler's do. I don't think I can tandem nurse since I have been losing weight steadily since nursing. I also had such severe morning sickness with DS that I lost 10lbs during the first trimester. Physically I don't think I could do both. Sorry so long, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to get DS to accept milk?

Default Re: How to wean if refuses bottle?

My daughter is 22 months and still won't drink milk. Are you concerned about her getting enough to drink or about her getting the calcium and protein from dairy?
    You don't have to wean from the breast to cow's milk. For one thing, if she gets enough fluids from water and juice, you don't have to worry about dehydration. For another, even non breast fed toddlers only need 2 servings of dairy a day, according to my pediatrician. He told me that I don't need to worry about milk!
    That being said, when I started encouraging weaning after a year, my daughter started getting sick, her urine output decreased to where I started to worry a little, and her weight gain slowed. When she was 19 months old, I decided not to let other people's opinions determine when kids "should" wean and started letting her nurse nearly on demand! She, at almost 2 years, nurses around 4 times per day, none at night. Lo and behold, she hasn't been sick since, I never worry about her wet diapers, and she had a big growth spurt.
    If you have reasons to wean, though, don't worry about the cow's milk. Just keep offering it occasionally. Hey, she likes yogurt, cheese, juice and water, right? You guys will be just fine.
    SAHM to Mary who has been since she was born on 06-08-2007.

Married to Jim since 07-30-2005

Thanks for the reply. My worry wasn't so much about dehydration, he drinks plenty of water. I'm more concerned regarding the fat, calories and calcium. I was under the impression that 16 to 24oz of whole milk per day was recommended for non breast fed toddlers. Also, I am not under any pressures to wean, and have no aversion to nursing a toddler. However, DH and I always wanted to have children who were close in age to each other. Not to mention that I am 38 and am feeling a little pressure to start trying for number 2 before I turn 40. I wish I could continue to nurse while pregnant, but given my weight issues and previous severe morning sickness my OB (who is very pro-breastfeeding) thinks I should wean first.

How about dropping a session and see if AF comes back. Then you can nurse while TTC...

Some other good way to get good fat into a toddler are
    Cook with Coconut oil.
    Feed "Nut" butters. (If not allergies.) Obviously peanut butter, but also almond and Sunflower are high in healthy fat.
    Feed nuts. (Again, of no allergies)
    Avacado. Whole or spread.
    Will he eat other dairy? If he eats cheese and yogurt, I really really wouldn't worry about the milk. Dairy is dairy. If he eats dairy, I don't think you "need" milk on top of that.
    When looking for calcium, think in terms of leafy greens. That's where cows get theirs! Spinach, lettuce, Kale. Ect.

HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Some other good way to get good fat into a toddler are
    Cook with Coconut oil.
    Feed "Nut" butters. (If not allergies.) Obviously peanut butter, but also almond and Sunflower are high in healthy fat.
    Feed nuts. (Again, of no allergies)
    Avacado. Whole or spread.
    Will he eat other dairy? If he eats cheese and yogurt, I really really wouldn't worry about the milk. Dairy is dairy. If he eats dairy, I don't think you "need" milk on top of that.
    When looking for calcium, think in terms of leafy greens. That's where cows get theirs! Spinach, lettuce, Kale. Ect.

HTH!

They don't need to make the 'switch' to cow's milk. We're the only species that does that transition Cow's milk is just an easy place to get many things the toddlers do need ... but as was discussed above, they can get those things in various an sundry places aside from cow's milk or any type of dairy product for that matter

Last edited by @llli*number4; March 28th, 2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Well today DS woke up with his first cold and is congested to the point he is having a difficult time nursing . I knew he was hungry but couldn't breathe through his nose well enough to nurse. I decided to try cow's milk again. This time I mixed it with a small spoonful of vanilla yogurt and some banana. So far he has happily consumed almost 16oz of nana smoothy today. After his afternoon nap he is breathing better and playing happily. I don't know if it was the banana that he likes so much, or if he has simply been refusing the milk because he was nursing enough not to need it. Today does give me some hope that if I drop more nursing sessions he will consume the calories another way rather than go hungry.

You can actually shoot a couple of drops of BM up a childs nose and usually will clear up congestion to the point of being able to comfortably nurse. Just and FYI.

Way too lazy for formula

He's feeling better today. Still congested but nursing well. He drank only about 4oz of cow's milk this morning. I'm not pushing it though, and will wait until the cold is gone completely before dropping any nursing sessions. Thanks for the suggestions re: nut butters. For some reason I didn't think of these. Just knew peanut butter was out. We have been trying leafy greens, but without much success. He is currently going through a phase where he has to feed himself everything with a baby fork. His coordination with utensils is improving, but not at the point where he can pick up greens with a fork yet. It's kind of cute though. He even pushes his grilled cheese sandwich onto a fork before eating it.

My daughter does the same things your LO does with milk in a cup. She will even sometimes throw it at me and tell me "UH-UUHHH!!". It's so cute but frustrating. I remember worrying with the first of my 3 that she wasn't getting enough calories, fat, etc. when she weaned. The doctors told me over and over that she would eat what she needed as long as I gave her healthy choices. It seems to have worked. SHe's now 10 and a very healthy eater. Amazingly enough asparagus and zucchini are her favorite veggies. Unusual for a 10 year old.

If you LO gets dairy/calcium from other things I wouldn't push the actual milk. If you would prefer to encourage the milk.....my pediatrician has told me to give the girls chocolate milk. Just enough chocolate for it to be sweet, but not too much. Then slowly decrease the amount of chocolate in it until you are serving plain milk. Good luck