Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: previously refrigerated milk left out - toss?

Default previously refrigerated milk left out - toss?

I accidentally left milk out (I was adding to it) on the counter for 3 hours. It had not been frozen, but it had been chilled as I pumped yesterday and refrigerated.

Do I have to toss it out? I could kick myself. I'm dedsperately trying to pump enough for this weekend and to loss 5 oz is heart breaking!

Default Re: previously refrigerated milk left out - toss?

I would smell it, and then taste a drop. If it passes the "sniff test", use it - but use it asap.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks, I will tell DH to use it first thing tomorrow, and to smell and taste it first (boy, he's going to love that...)

How was it?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

Wow- that is is so nice of you to check up on me! It was fine. The show I had to work (convention center) was only 15 min from my house, so DH actually took DS up to me to nurse, and DH covered my booth.

That helped immensely as a) I can't pump as much as DS can nurse. It takes me a whole day to pump enough for one bottle and b) I get sore if I only pump all day. Unfortunately most of my events are an hour + away and I have to do that. Hate it, but I've got to keep my business afloat, kwim?

BTW, tried formula this week because my stress dried me out fierce - I was desperate - and DS flat out refused...now the pressure is really on! I've got to stay de-stressed and hydrated.

With DS I had an over supply, don't know why I can't pump this time around....

Glad to hear things worked out!! It's so hard to be a working mama - to you! Sometimes it's hard to pump when there's stress (i.e. at a different place, trying to get it done in 15 minutes, etc.). I notice that you work at different locations; do you work every day? If you don't have to go every day, have you tried adding a session sometime (early in the morning or after your DS goes to bed, maybe?) to build up some stash that way? If you do it at the same time every day, your body will start producing for that "feeding", especially if you pump for 5 minutes after the milk stops to tell your body to make more. That's what I did when I couldn't pump enough during the day to feed DS the next day. !!!

Have you tried using a larger breast shield? Pumping shields that are too small make for less output and sore nipples. Very many women, even small breasted ones need larger than 24mm. I had issues with output and soreness pumping and changed to 30mm and it makes a huge difference. No more soreness and more milk output.

Also, what kind of pump are you using?

Last, have you tried changing out valves and membranes? They do wear out and decrease suction. I have heard some mamas say they replace every eight weeks (when using at work several times a day).

HTH!