Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen milk from NICU

Default Frozen milk from NICU

My baby was born 6 weeks premature and I came home from the hospital with a lot of frozen breastmilk. I have returned to work and my care-giver has told me that using that frozen milk in a ratio of one to two parts causes my baby to be continuously wanting a bottle. When she gives milk just pumped a day or two previously, there is a difference. Is this to be expected? Thank you.

Default Re: Frozen milk from NICU

That's really weird, although I'm not super familiar with preemie milk. I used full bottles of frozen milk and there was never a difference.
    I always premade my bottles so my dcp never knew if they were frozen or fresh. Maybe you could try a little experiment and see if there is a difference or if she's projecting that on your NICU milk!?
    Also was this over a long time period or just a couple of bottles? Maybe one day your baby wanted to be held more. That just happened to be the day of frozen milk. Was it in a different bottle or different nipple? That could make a difference too.

what do you mean "in a ratio of one to two parts?"

that sounds really strange to me mama. our son got frozen milk in the NICU, then at home after he came home, then a few months later when we were trying to use it up. there was never any difference in the way that he took the milk.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

As my baby will not take thawed milk only, we came up with the idea of mixing 1 oz frozen-thawed with two oz fresh. This way I have used the milk recently frozen. The "problem" is all the frozen milk from when he was in the NICU that was not used. When he has been given this milk in the 1 to 2 ratio - pumped when he was about a week to two weeks old - he is not satisfied at all. This was observed by four adults at the day care. He indicated he was hungry and would not settle for five and a half hours until they gave him fresh milk pumped the day before. The same care givers, the same nipple and bottle; just the frozen NICU milk was the different item. We wondered if it has something to do with the age he was when it was pumped and wondered if anyone else had experienced this type of situation.

Hmmm....that just sounds strange. Especially because milk that you would have pumped around that time would have had more of a colostrum content than milk you are getting now. Therefore you think that the OLDER milk would be keeping him more full than your NEWER milk.

I DO know that I was told never to combine the frozen milk and fresh. Even if I thawed the milk first. Maybe this is changing the taste some? But your LO is eating all of it right? hmmmmmm.

I am going to go dig a little on this too....
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

ok...I've been all over the internet and can't find any reasonable explanation why that milk wouldn't satisfy him more than fresh milk. I even tried to call my LC. Do you have an LC that you could ask? Or a local LLL leader that might be able to look into it?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*doats View Post
    As my baby will not take thawed milk only,
    And btw, this makes me think could be a lipase problem. Here is this and this:

Scalding milk is the recommended solution for excessive lipase. The breastmilk is still chock full of immunities and nutrients for your baby, scalding is the safest way to reduce the lipase, which as you can see is making the milk taste unpleasant. Lipase is the enzyme that breaks down fat in the milk.

Per the Breastfeeding Answer Book, page 229, "If the mother finds after freezeing and thawing that her milk has a rancid smell, she can prevent this from occurring in the future by heating her expressed milk to a scald (bubbling around the edges but not boiling) right after collecting it, and then quickly cooling and freezing it. Scalding inactivates the lipase (Lawrence and Lawrence p. 696). Once the milk has acquired the rancid smell, however, treating the milk will not help. It is not known whether or not this milk is safe for the baby; however most babies refuse it.

Some mothers have reported a slightly soapy smell to their frozen milk after it was thawed. This change in smell has been attributed to changes in the milk fats related to storage in self-defrosting refrigerators-freezers; it has not been found to be harmful to the baby (Lawrence and Lawrence, p.696)."

These above guidelines are assuming baby is healthy and full-term, if you have a premature baby the guidelines may be different, check with your baby's doctor.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Sounds like a taste test might be in order, I agree with Nolies mom that it seems like it's something else. Hopefully you don't have a lipase issue (BTW if you do, DON'T throw you milk out) but that might explain what's going on.