Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reduced Feed Time = Increased Sucking Efficiency?

Default Reduced Feed Time = Increased Sucking Efficiency?

I'm exclusively BFing my 5 week old baby.

In the past week, her feeding time at each breast suddenly decreased. She used to take 10 - 15min at each breast, for a total feeding time of around half an hour at a time.

Now she is done in 5 minutes +/- per breast.

I was anticipating longer nursing since it's about time she experiences her next growth spurt (6 weeks?), but to the contrary, she seems to be spending less time at the breast.

Otherwise, her frequency of feeding remains unchanged.

Does it follow that babies get more efficient at sucking, or my milk flow actually increases such that she gradually needs to spend less time at the breast?

Many thanks for your thoughts/ advice.

Default Re: Reduced Feed Time = Increased Sucking Efficiency?

Does it follow that babies get more efficient at sucking, or my milk flow actually increases such that she gradually needs to spend less time at the breast?
    Yes and yes!

Is dd continuing to have lots of wet diapers(5-6 cloth or 6-8 disposable?) and 3-4 BM's per day.

Around 6 weeks a baby's bladder capacity begins to increase, so often diapers are wetter but fewer, and BM's may become a little less frequent, or may not. This varies in individual babies.

Is her growth remaining steady as well? I know, hard to tell in just a week, but these are good indications that she is gettin enough!

Default Re: Reduced Feed Time = Increased Sucking Efficiency?

well... so far so good - on both the wet diapers/ BM count.

will keep monitoring her progress.

Thanks!