Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: problems with pump

Default problems with pump

I need some help. I've been using an Ameda PIS (got it used from a friend) the whole time to pump, once a day or so until 3 months, then 3x/day for 4 days/week while I'm at work. I've had good results up until a few weeks ago.

I thought maybe it was starting solds that made my pumping output decrease 2-3 oz/day gradually, but now I'm afraid it was my pump motor slowly going bad. The problem is that it still works, so it's not like it just died and I can attribute everything to that.

I finally came to the realization that it may be the pump. So I've got a Medela PIS now and just used it for the first time today. I got what I've been getting with my Ameda lately, not what I used to get, though the suction did seem a lot better.

My question is this - since my supply has been affected for 2 weeks +, will it take some time with a new pump to get it back up to where it was? Will it ever go back to what it was? I sure hope so. My freezer stash has taken a beating because of this. I'm also taking Fenugreek though I've tried this in the past to no avail.
    Mama to Beatrice Maxine born 8-3-08
    , ,

Default Re: problems with pump

yes I think that you can bring your supply up if it was the pump affecting it, and you can replace the valves and membranes to ensure that you are getting the best possible suction. But it can be very common to notice a supply dip with the pump after a while. Most women's bodies respond differently to a pump, it just can never match a baby in terms of stimulation and reflex. Here is some info to take a look at as well.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: problems with pump

try adding a serving of oatmeal in addtion to the fenugreek
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)