Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! Should I pump?

Default Help!! Should I pump?

Hello there,

I posted a few days ago about my son and his teething pain. He has significantly reduced his nursing due to teething (I think), and plus my supply has felt low this last week due to my cycle this month. I don't know what to do I am so confused.

He REFUSES to nurse on my left side (my left side was always kind of a "snacker" anyway), but doesn't seem satisfied after nursings the last few days. He wants to comfort nurse and stay latched on FOREVER like he did when he was a newborn. He has bitten me 3 times yesterday and although I think it surprised him, I don't think he is scared to nurse. I used to be able to feel multiple let downs in my right side but over the last 1-2 weeks that has dropped to maybe one or two and he is having less diapers per day. I only change 3 maybe 4, and the only time it is really wet is in the morning (although this seems like half of what it used to be) and around dinnertime.

I took him to the pedi last week to make sure he wasn't having an ear infection or something else. He has been eating more solids but refuses to drink anything else I offer. He never did take EBM, and I have tried giving him sips of milk the last few days but he's not that interested. He has been clingy and super sensitive. I am giving him Tylenol/Motrin/teething tablets but it doesn't seem to help that much with his nursing supply.

I guess my main questions is should I be worried about my supply and the wet diapers? His weight gain was only 4 ounces in a month, but my pedi wasn't worried because he is 24 lbs, 10 ounces. He is active, and seems content for some periods after he's napped or taken something to help his teeth feel better. I guess I'm venting too, since I'm so worried I'm going to lose my supply and I feel like I should start supplementing him with something to drink since his diapers aren't that wet.

Last night was the worst, since he would wake up and want to nurse, then pull of crying (pain cry I think). I got him up to give him the teething tablets twice during the night which I have never needed to do before, which seemed to help him go back to sleep. He has been sort of whimpering in his sleep and can't settle back to sleep when he wakes up.

He had 4 teeth come in over a 3 week period! And it looks like he has 2 or 3 more coming. They are coming in all at once!!!

Any Advice??? I feel lik crying

Default Re: Help!! Should I pump?

OOOHH YOU POOR THING!

I can't imagine how hard this must be for you! We're working ont the top two after a brief break from the bottom two and all I can say is I'm so grateful I was staying home during this time so we could nurse on demand. Though these top two have been FAR worse than the bottom two and he's been doing a little refusing of the breast with these. I'll see if I can get P-t-m to chime in around nursing strikes related to teething. As I think she and her daughter are just getting over one. I know she never supplemented so you don't have to. The last couple of days have been the worse. before the this are problems were more related to the very very broken sleep I was getting due to the amount of comfort nursing he was doing. THe last few days he's been very very fussy during the day which is VERY VERY hard on me because he's never been a fussy baby. You can pump if your worried but I don't think you have to. It's always been a supply and demand thing. We never had any issue with leaking UNTIL he started comfort nursing from teething. But when he started doing it around the clock I started producing more. I think you will adjust up and down with how often he's nursing. When he drops a feeding, I let it go. THough sometimes I leak. When he decides he want to eat 14x a day I let him. And sometimes when he's not eating as often as I think he should, I'll play with him with my shirt off. Often when he sees my breasts he'll pop on and off for quick snack. 4 sucks here, 3 sucks there. But if he's doing this and chooses not to eat, I trust him. It our job to provide quality and opportunity. They control quantity. Hang in there!

First of all ... big hugs to you! I know first hand how heartbreaking everything you guys are going through is. My little one has been on a semi-nursing strike for a week and a half because of teething (I think - gosh, we never really *know* do we?). It's so awful seeing our little ones go through that, and then when they can't eat (because they *do* want to eat - it just hurts!) it is even harder for them and us mamas. My little girl has also been extremely clingy and needy ... and crying at the littlest things ... very unlike her. I'm sure she is just hurting (I think her top two teeth are coming in). My little girl has also been crying in her sleep at night and waking suddenly bursting into tears. I feel for you!

She hasn't been wanting to nurse much at all during the day ... will start and then pop off before I even let down. Have you been able to nurse him while he's sleeping or drowsy (before/after naps)? That is what has saved us during this time. Most babies will nurse if very sleepy, even if they are refusing at other times. Maybe try a warm bath with him and offer the breast again?

Don't feel bad giving him Tylenol or Motrin ... it's temporary and it will help him not suffer the pain (poor guy, multiple teeth at once!). The Tylenol is what I've found works best at night time. In the day we sometimes use the tablets, or I give her a momsicle (frozen breast milk) to suck/chew on and she loves that (she has never shown any interest in chewing on a teething ring, wet washcloth, etc.). Plus, during the days when she's not nursing and getting the normal amount of milk those momsicles get just a little more into her tummy.

We are not new to nursing strikes ... we've been through some horrendous, heartbreaking strikes in the past. And we made it through everyone without ever supplementing. This last strike I did end up pumping on the days where she was really refusing a lot (I wouldn't have before because I had an oversupply, but at 8.5 months now my supply is pretty regulated and I know the strike was taking a toll on my milk supply - so I felt it was safe). If you haven't ever had a problem with oversupply then pumping for some of the missed feedings would be a good idea (especially if his diaper output is lower than usual). If you don't pump your little one will bring your supply back up to where he needs it to be when he starts nursing more again. If you are already worrying about your supply I would STRONGLY caution against supplementing. Just do what you can to get him to the breast as often and for as long as you can. That is the absolute best, number one, tried and true method of increasing your supply!

It could be that since your left side was always a lower producer, that now that you're having a dip in supply that it just doesn't come quick enough for his liking right now. Maybe try breast compressions to help get the milk to him quicker and get him the hindmilk.

Kelly Mom has some great info on teething and it's effects on nursing here:

Teething

Regarding the comfort nursing ... you are such an awesome mommy to be there for him when he needs his mama's comfort the most!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Red face Re: Help!! Should I pump?

THANK YOU both for responding!!! I felt better just after writing that post, but am glad to read your thoughts and advice. I get so nervous about losing my supply also because we've been through 2 previous nursing strikes that weren't fun, and he never did take any EBM ever. It is so hard to see your LO go through so much pain. Teething is SO HARD! And just when you think you're in the clear, another one comes. I know it's been hard because they're coming in so closely together.

As for medicating, I don' feel so bad, and it's the only thing that helps somewhat when I'm consistent. He is also not into the teething rings, cold washcloths, etc. I've never thought about the momsicles what a great idea!!
    Do you just freeze your milk in ice cube trays?? I will also try to play with him with my shirt off and I KNOW that will work for a quick "snack". That is a great idea DJ's mom, I have to say that I should have thought of that myself (LOL) My little nursling gets very excited when he sees me like that. They are so funny

Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement and experiences. I am so grateful for you ladies and this forum.
    I will keep you posted.
    Do either of you participate in the online LLL meetings? I really have an interest in them, and feel like I really need the support. Have never been able to make the local LLL and don't know anyone where I live nurisng a toddler

Just about the only time he really nurses is when he's sleeping as he's always been that way. So I know that I can get him to nurse at least 3 times (nap, bedtime, and morning...)

I haven't really wanted to supplement, but have been getting a little pressure from DH to encourage it during the day. DH is supportive of BF, but I think he would like me to encourage the weaning a little more. I am truly happy letting him wean himself. Do either of you have these issues? I thought it best to not supplement him so hearing you say that I won't. I don't want to cause more supply problems.

Do you think I should just let the supply on my left side dwindle without pumping unless I need to? I'll just nurse him on demand and offer that side, but if he doesn't ever take it do I just keeping offering but not pumping to keep the supply? I don't know how some moms survive longer nursing strikes! I feel for them!!!! My longest strike was 5 days and even then my heart broke! It was at 3 months when he got nipple confusion and refused the bottle/nursing.

My LO didn't want to nurse all that well today. He was in HORRIBLE pain. He's never been a fussy baby, but today was pretty badly. He was crying so uncontrollably that my DH was wondering if we should take him to the ER. I gave him some tylenol and some teething tablets. We took a warm bath together, I swaddled him, and we (DH, too) all took a nap together. He slept from 1-5, but wouldn't nurse at all before, during, or after the nap.

At night, DH always gives him a bottle of EBM while I make dinner, and then I nurse him an hour later before I put him down...lets just say that he made up for it. DH gave him 10ozs of EBM, and he usually only takes 5, maybe 6 on rare occasion. Since he has no problem going from breast to bottle, I don't worry about giving him the bottle during these times...maybe it doesn't hurt him as much to suck off the bottle than it does to nurse??? Not sure, but he was still really fussy during the bottle...and forget comfort nursing. I think I must've tried so many times and he was just having fits he was in so much pain. Crying constantly while gnawing on his hands. I felt so helpless.

But he had no problem going to sleep. He's been asleep since 7pm and its 1115 now, so we'll see. I only pump just before I go to bed because I have had problems with oversupply. So I basically went all day being really full and leaking a ton. O'well, there's always tomorrow!

Good luck and grace to all the nursing mommies with teething babies!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmommy
    THANK YOU both for responding!!! I felt better just after writing that post, but am glad to read your thoughts and advice. I get so nervous about losing my supply also because we've been through 2 previous nursing strikes that weren't fun, and he never did take any EBM ever. It is so hard to see your LO go through so much pain. Teething is SO HARD! And just when you think you're in the clear, another one comes. I know it's been hard because they're coming in so closely together.

As for medicating, I don' feel so bad, and it's the only thing that helps somewhat when I'm consistent. He is also not into the teething rings, cold washcloths, etc. I've never thought about the momsicles what a great idea!!
    Do you just freeze your milk in ice cube trays?? I will also try to play with him with my shirt off and I KNOW that will work for a quick "snack". That is a great idea DJ's mom, I have to say that I should have thought of that myself (LOL) My little nursling gets very excited when he sees me like that. They are so funny

Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement and experiences. I am so grateful for you ladies and this forum.
    I will keep you posted.
    Do either of you participate in the online LLL meetings? I really have an interest in them, and feel like I really need the support. Have never been able to make the local LLL and don't know anyone where I live nurisng a toddler

Just about the only time he really nurses is when he's sleeping as he's always been that way. So I know that I can get him to nurse at least 3 times (nap, bedtime, and morning...)

I haven't really wanted to supplement, but have been getting a little pressure from DH to encourage it during the day. DH is supportive of BF, but I think he would like me to encourage the weaning a little more. I am truly happy letting him wean himself. Do either of you have these issues? I thought it best to not supplement him so hearing you say that I won't. I don't want to cause more supply problems.

Do you think I should just let the supply on my left side dwindle without pumping unless I need to? I'll just nurse him on demand and offer that side, but if he doesn't ever take it do I just keeping offering but not pumping to keep the supply? I don't know how some moms survive longer nursing strikes! I feel for them!!!! My longest strike was 5 days and even then my heart broke! It was at 3 months when he got nipple confusion and refused the bottle/nursing.
    How are things going for you now??

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon