Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your toddler nurse ALOT still as well?

Default Does your toddler nurse ALOT still as well?

I thought for some reason when DD turned 1 she'd nurse less often? She actually did nurse less during the day for a couple weeks until she got sick *for the first time* and she nursed like crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Which was ok cuz she got better witnin a day an a half. BUT she is still nursing like crazy.
    We went from nursing every 2 hours from infant to nursing every 4-5 hours.. and now its back to about every 3 hours.

I in no way want to wean her, I am just shocked at how much she nurses still. Do you think Im not feeding her enough solids maybe?

How often does your toddler nurse.

BTW DD is 14 months now.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: Does your toddler nurse ALOT still as well?

My 23 month old nurses about every 1-3 hours, 24 hours a day. Once in awhile, he'll go 4 hours, but he has to be away from me for that to happen, which is a rarity. He was late to be able to handle solids, but now he eats a fair amount of solid food and still nurses frequently.

If you are wanting to reduce her frequency, offering solids more often, or just before you think she's going to want to nurse may help. You may want to consider, however, if you are not troubled by the frequency, just letting it be. Sometimes emotional, physical and/or cognitive developments can lead to an increase in nursing -- something comforting and healthy you can offer during tough times. Frequent nursing in a toddler, in and of itself, is no cause for concern unless it is not working for you.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

DS is 14 months old and started doing the same thing. It started when he had a bad cold, and has continued due to teething.
    with pp, too. I also don't think it has anything to do with how much solids they are eating. DS eats like an adult, so I know he isn't hungry.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

At 1 they don't magically turn into big toddlers, there is still a lot of infant left in them imo. At 12 months DS was nursing every 2 hours, and was doing so until around 16 months. Then by 18 months I could see a noticeable decrease.

Once you get closer to 2 you will notice nursing becomes more comfort and pleasure and not as much nutrition. It's actually a really neat natural process if you let it take its course.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

She sure does. Avery's 20 months.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    At 1 they don't magically turn into big toddlers, there is still a lot of infant left in them imo. At 12 months DS was nursing every 2 hours, and was doing so until around 16 months. Then by 18 months I could see a noticeable decrease.

Once you get closer to 2 you will notice nursing becomes more comfort and pleasure and not as much nutrition. It's actually a really neat natural process if you let it take its course.
    with everything. My kid was almost exactly the same. At 12-15 months she nursed every 2-3 hours during the day. It was only at 18 months that she dropped some nursing sessions, and at 2 years all of a sudden she was down to nursing 3 times a day.

According to my pediatrician, solids are just for fun until the first birthday. After age 1, the transition from needing nothing but mama's milk to needing a ton of solids (and nursing less) is a gradual one- so don't be too shocked if your baby's diet is still mostly milk. It's not like they go to sleep on day 364 needing nothing but milk, and wake up on day 365 needing a huge amount of solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mine, too! Every 2-3 hours when I'm around.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

with everyone else.

DS will be 15mos tomorrow and nurses every 3-4 hours. somedays it's less, somedays it's more if he isn't feeling good or teething...

he eats A LOT of table food too. i am a bit shocked to see how much the kid can put away! but he is very tall and very active so he burns it off quickly. oh, and he has continued to nurse during the night as well.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

I agree with everyone, my DD#1 is 26 mo and still nurses a lot, more than I can handle. I just had another baby and DD#1 needs to nurse aaaaall the time. But at this age I can set limits.

Both of my toddlers LOVE to nurse. Dd is down to before nap/bed and once in the am right as she wakes. Ds varies from 10-100000 times a day.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes