Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing & TTC

Question Nursing & TTC

My daughter is 11 months old, so I figured I would post here because one month isn't going to really make a ddifference. Anyway, we are trying for #2, and Kelani is obviously still nursing. My cycles came back this past May, so we decided to try since I am most likely ovulating (or at least we hope). We still haven't conceived, and my cycles are getting longer (2 at 28 days, one at 32 days, and now I am at 33 days with nothing still). I have no plans to wean Kelani for at least another 7 months, but was wondering that if, despite the fact that I have AF, that nursing it preventing ovulation?

Default Re: Nursing & TTC

There are lots of reasons why a woman may not ovulate. Poor diet, stress, traveling are some that come to mind in addition to nursing. However, you're not even sure if you are ovulating or not. The first thing I would do in your situation would be to start charting to see if you are ovulating or not. For instance, I chart and I have only been ovulating every three months. So you might be ovulating sometimes. You just need to see what's going on. The best book that helped me learn how to chart was "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weshler (I might be spelling the last name wrong). There are charts in the book to photocopy and use once you learn how. The book also helped me to learn so much more about my body that I didn't know.

-Lauren

Hi Fleckofgod,
    You may find more info here in this article.

Natural Child Spacing and Breastfeeding

Here's the book mentioned above by the pp.
    "Toni Weschler's Taking Charge of Your Fertility is newly approved for use in Group Libraries. This comprehensive book describes the menstrual cycle and the signals a woman's body provides to indicate fertility. It includes chapters on reproductive health, natural birth control, achieving pregnancy and the benefits of charting as well as information on fertility awareness during breastfeeding, premenopause and other special circumstances."

While the pattern of breastfeeding is a key factor in the length of infertility, each woman's own body chemistry also influences the length of infertility.

The fertility forum here on the boards might also have some great info for you.

HTH,
    Mary

Thank you both for the information - I will have to try the natural child spacing book. I am was very aware of my fertility before I conceived Kelani and was chartting. I haven't done it this time because of the way she wakes to nurse in the morning, which would make me a very inconsistent temp taker. I am thinking I will break down and buy some ovulation predictor kits this month to see if I am ovulating at all. I was reading somewhere else on the internet that nursing can effect ovulation even if you are having AF. I really don't want to wean, but at the same time, want to be pregnant sooner as opposed to later. I will be 39 soon, and my Dr. would prefer a second pregnancy as early as is healthy for me since the last pregnancy was high risk.