Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Uping fat content to breastmilk

Default Uping fat content to breastmilk

Is there anyway to get more fat in breast milk? My 6 month old is very small, and we have a genetic issue of some of our children being unable to digest some sugars (lactose and some carbs). My 6 month old is not on solids yet and we would like to see some more gain on him, the Dr wants to start him on rice cereal mixed with olive oil. In the past we have added olive oil to baby foods to add weight to our children who can't absorb some carbs. I'd like to exclusively bfed for a few more months to maximize fat intake, but I would like him to take in more of the fatty hind milk and less of the lactose rich foremilk, but for volume he needs the foremilk too. So, is there a way of upping the amount of hind milk I produce or the amount of fat in the milk? He wets great and poos great, his over all length has increased 4 inches since birth and 2 1/2 pds since birth or 3 1/2 pds since discharge weight. He is healthy overall and nurses every 2 too 4 hours day and night, (ave 3) developmentally he did everything the Dr asked at 6 months plus he reached for me yesterday and said "mama" (2 SIL's heard it too! ) So he is doing well, but could use to be beefed up some!

Default Re: Uping fat content to breastmilk

You don't have to start with rice cereal as the first food. Avacodo's are great source of fat for babies...http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/avo...odrecipes.html

As far as increasing fat content, you have to make sure baby is emptying breast completly, the more it's empty the higher fat he will be getting...

Also while bfing, do compressions.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

You could pump, allow the milk to sit in the fridge for a while, and then skim off the cream from one bottle and add it to another. If you replaced one nursing session per day with a bottle of "double-cream" breastmilk, I doubt it would impact your nursing relationship much.

I'm not sure there's any 100% reliable way to increase fat content in milk taken in at the breast, however... Though the steps mentioned by the PP would certainly be helpful!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you nurse more frequently, the fat content of your milk will be higher.

Other than that, I know a mom who's baby wasn't gaining weight well. Her doctor had her pump after each feeding and feed the baby what amounted to a bottle of cream as a dream feed in the middle of the night. Here's some info on draining your breasts more thoroughly to get more of the hindmilk.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

II'm pumping again today after feedings, the problem is getting him to take the bottle later! I will try a dream feed, maybe he would be more likely to take it if he is mostly asleep.
    I'm clicking on the links now to check them out!
    I want to do what I can, I'm not crazy about any solids at this point...I'm begaining to think I might have to...would it be best to start him on solids or wait???

Yes, getting him to take a bottle in the middle of the night, unfortunately I don't have any suggestions there! You could also try spoon-feeding it to him or giving him a mom-sicle, but I guess that would interfer with his appetite during the day?

From what I've read, breastmilk increases in fat content as the baby gets older and most solids have less calories than breastmilk. Breastmilk really is the best thing for him right now. How about trying different things and measuring the difference in weight gain. Exclusively breastfeeding for 2 weeks, then try adding some high-fat solids for 2 weeks to see if it makes a difference?? What about taking that bottle of hindmilk and shaking it to make breastmilk-butter and then mashing that into something or maybe he will just eat it straight??

Here's a link on weight gain:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

Here's a link on milk fat content:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; March 25th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.