Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to pump?

Default When to pump?

Hello! Please humor me if this has already been addressed....
    I have a newborn (16 days today!). I've been breastfeeding him exclusively and fortunately have not had any problems. We are doing a trial run at the sitter's next Friday (Sept. 1). Is it too soon to pump and do one bottle per day so the sitter will have a bottle for him (and he'll be used to a bottle)? Also, when do I pump? After I feed him? I want to make sure I have enough milk left when it's time to feed him. He currently eats about every 3 hours. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Default Re: When to pump?

It's not generally recommended to introduce a bottle before BF is well established; usually 4-6 wks. Some young babies will develop a "preference" for bottles b/c they don't have to work for the food like they do at the breast.

The best time to pump is in the morning when your body naturally produces more milk. You could feed your LO first thing in the morning and pump afterward (maybe and hour later). Your body will get the message to produce more so you won't have to worry about depriving your LO at his next feed. Keep in mind your body is still establishing it's milk supply to match the ever changing demands of your LO. Pumping will tell your body that it needs to increase production and might cause engorgement if you don't make pumping a regular occurance which your body will learn to expect.

Are you getting ready to go back to work? Is that why you are doing a trial run at the sitters? If you are just wanting to get out of the house, babies your son's age are easy to take out with you. We have seen several movies with DS and he's been going out to dinner with us since he was 5dys old.

HTH

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Thanks for the quick response!
    I do feel that BF is pretty well established, but I am a first-time mom so I could very well be wrong!!! 4-6 weeks makes sense to make sure....
    I still have about 4.5 weeks before I have to go back to work. I was going to do a trial run at the sitters because I have a dentist appt. for me and didn't know what else to do with him. I didn't want to have him in the dentist with me. Lord only knows what kinds of germs/bacteria are in there!!!
    I think my husband is going to take the day off work and go with me. That way if I have to BF right after my appt, I can. We may just swing by the sitter's so they can meet.
    Thanks again for the advice! I had no idea when the best time to pump would be!

I have an almost 3 week old and while I'm not planning on offering a bottle any time soon- I will have to go back to work some in about 4 or 5 more weeks. I'm fortunate to only have to work about 4 days each month- but he will need something to eat while I'm away. I'm pumping in the morning about an hour after his first feed of the daylight hours. He goes about 3 hours at that time of day, so that gives me time to make more milk for his next feed. I've nursed 3 older children and worked full time and pumped- and if you are going back to work soon I'd go ahead and pick two or three times a day when you'll likely pump at work and go ahead and start pumping then too. One thing that helped me go back to work was knowing I had about 2 weeks worth of milk in the freezer.