Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pulling mamas shirt and fussing for the breast

Default pulling mamas shirt and fussing for the breast

I can't believe I actually get to post here now...where does the time go! DD just turned a year on March 15th! We are still nursing strong and I am 32wks along...Yay! Soon our adventures in tandem nursing will begin

As she has been getting older she has started to become really really fussy for the breast. It used to just be when I was changing and she would see them and cry to nurse. But now it seems like its all the time. She just went through a rough teething patch so I though that it would get better after that, but not at all. We could be happy playing and then she starts pulling my shirt and crying to nurse. We have been using a few simple signs with her for a few months now...one of them to nurse. I will show her the nursing sign and she just crys harder, still pulling my shirt down. She doesn't nurse for long when she does this while we are playing...only for seconds at a time sometimes. But then as soon as I cover back up she wants to nurse again. Is this normal?? She could also be playing independently and if I look at her she starts crying to nurse!! It is getting a little frustrating and I think moreso because I am pregnant. I don't know whats going to happen when her sister comes along and I am alone with both of them during the day. It will break my heart to have her sit there and cry while I nurse her sister, but until I get the hang of tandem nursing I don't know what I'll do.

Any advice...is this typical behavior for a little one who EBFs. She has never been given a bottle. I know she's not hungry b/c it could be right after a meal. She doesn't take a sippy and only drinks from a cup...but I don't really think she is thirsty either. I think its more of a comfort thing that she wants ALL the time.
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Default Re: pulling mamas shirt and fussing for the breast

Mine did the same thing at that age. I think it might that they're dealing with cognitive development.

bump
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

I think it is quite common for EBF toddlers. Joshua would nurse CONSTANTLY if he could, and did. It was his main source of comfort...and for the nutrition. Especially around 1-2 years, he would nurse non-stop. Several times an hour. My Sister has an 18 month old son who is still doing the same thing. Neither of us used bottles or paci's, so we were the one that supplied the comfort sucking that they need.
    Since about my 4th or 5th month of pregnancy he has cut way way down, and my supply has gone away. For awhile he stopped asking, and I thought we were weaned. However, he recently started asking to nurse 1-2 times a day, or if he is embarrassed or hurt. I thought we were on the track to full weaning, but I think we might be tandem nursing as well.

Could you make the older one a nursing basket filled with special things that she can play with while you nurse the new baby? (just to keep her occupied until you can get the hang of nursing both at the same time). You could put new things in it, that she isn't use to seeing. Maybe her own baby doll that she could hold while you nurse the baby? Just some ideas...
    It might be hard at first, but I bet you will get the hang of it, and it will all work out.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

My 14 month old has her moments like that but I have to agree that I do believe it's more of a comfort for them at this age, especially when they come and go like you mentioned, than a hunger issue. DD never took to a paci so when she's unhappy or frustrated she signs milk and pulls on my shirt as well. She did this the other day when she was scared of the water at the splash park.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby