Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of pumping...

Default Tired of pumping...

Thought I'd post this here since I am so close to the 1 yr mark. Baby is 10 months old and I am sooo tired of pumping! He is still drinking four 5 oz bottles at daycare so I need to pump 3-4Xs a day to keep up. He eats 3 meals a day. Shouldn't he be cutting down on his breastmilk bottles? He only nurses 4 or 5 times on the weekend days, so I think they are overfeeding him at daycare. Do you think I should stop giving them 4 bottles? I plan to breastfeed beyond one but don't plan to provide more than one bottle of bm for daycare, just enough so that I can still keep my supply up enough to nurse a couple of times a day. I am so tired of my life revolving around pumping!

Default Re: Tired of pumping...

Me too. Sorrry I don't have any advice, just support. I am tired of pumping too. Especially when you realize that you pump more than you nurse your LO.

Hi mama. I am confused...is he getting four 5oz bottles at daycare? That seems like a lot. A general rule of thumb is that baby should eat about 1 -1.5oz of BM for every hour you are away.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My LO gets 3... 5oz. bottles at my mom's while I am at work. The 1-1.5 oz rule did not work for us, it wasn't enough.

Wow! I impressed that you can keep up with the demand! He may just take in most of his ounces during that chunk of the day. I wonder if he would start reverse cycling if you back off on what you send.

Well a baby is going to take more from a bottle than they would from a breast. The flow never stops from a bottle, they don't have to work for it. It just keeps dripping out. Totally opposite with the breast.

That's not to say every child falls into a cookie cutter "this much for every baby" formula, but based on weight and age it is generally a roundabout figure. My son until just a couple weeks ago only took 12oz all day until bedtime (excluding water).

How much is your LO nursing at home? (either one of both of you)
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

My LO is nursing right when he wakes up and then again before bed, and once in the while wakes up in the middle of the night and I nurse him...wish it was a little less often, but oh well! If he takes 3 bottles of 5 oz.

Even on the rare day he only drinks 3 5 oz bottles he still doesn't squeeze another session in.

So it's usually 20 ozs at daycare, 2 maybe 3 nursing sessions.
    On the weekends he only nurses 4-5 times.

He's in thr 90% for length and 50% for weight...has been since birth. He hasn't dropped at all since being more mobile. I just hope I am not setting him up for overweight!

Oh and I am away from him 6:30am-5pm.

Beth- I have been blessed with a good supply. It compensates for my baby's tongue tie!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babytalk View Post
    My LO is nursing right when he wakes up and then again before bed, and once in the while wakes up in the middle of the night and I nurse him...wish it was a little less often, but oh well! If he takes 3 bottles of 5 oz.

Even on the rare day he only drinks 3 5 oz bottles he still doesn't squeeze another session in.

So it's usually 20 ozs at daycare, 2 maybe 3 nursing sessions.
    On the weekends he only nurses 4-5 times.

He's in thr 90% for length and 50% for weight...has been since birth. He hasn't dropped at all since being more mobile. I just hope I am not setting him up for overweight!
    it doesn't sound like he is going to be overweight. And with you gone that long it makes more sense that he would have that much.

Have you tried to drop a session of pumping throughout the day? You may be surprised that you can pump around the same amount with fewer sessions. Especially now that you LO is older, your supply should be pretty well regulated.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel