Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping issues

Default pumping issues

My son is six weeks old and is doing fine. He eats off of both breasts with problem, and is gaining weight normally. I have to return to work, so I have been pumping at least once a day to have a stockpile. The last few days I have been pumping I will get 4oz. out of one breast and only an ounce out of the other. I use a dual pump. I've tried massaging the breast before pumping, but still the same results. Am I doing something wrong while pumping to get only one ounce from just one breast?

Default Re: pumping issues

This happens to me, too. I just start w/ the lower side the next time.

moving to pumping issues for more responses

Hi,

This happens to me, too. I pump three times a day at work. I pump one side at a time (and type or read e-mail with the other), and like texasamy said, I start with the side that was lower the previous time. Occasionally I'll go back and give that one a little extra after pumping the second breast. I don't really get much more but I like to think it reminds that breast to keep working.

Good luck going back to work! If you have any control over the day you go back, you might want to start back on a Thursday or Friday so that you can work the kinks out and then recover over the weekend. I was glad I did that.

this happened to me too. I just kept pumping and things eventually equaled out. i still get about .5 to 1 oz less on the right side. just the way they are configured i guess

I use a dual pump and I pump until no milk comes out of either breast. The right one will stop giving me milk after one ounce, but I continue to pump both breasts together until the left one is done. Should I continue to do this??

It's not uncommon for women to produce different amounts of milk from each breast. I'll share a story. I noticed my daughter had quite a preference for my left breast, to the point where I was getting a little, shall we say lopsided...

So I started really paying attention to our nursing patterns, focusing on putting her to the right breast more often, etc. After a day I realized that my tendency was to almost always nurse her on the left side during the day. The reason? I usually nursed while sitting at my computer and would use my right hand (I'm right handed) to mouse around while she ate! So in a way, I caused the preference! Now I just make a much more concerted effort to balance things out, but honestly, things would have gone on fine had I not done so. There have been studies done on women who are only able to nurse on one side or only nurse on one side for cultural reasons and their babies do just fine.

Hope you can get a giggle at my expense.

Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

I think a lot of women are the same! If you never used a pump you'd never find out about it and you'd go on feeding in blissful ignorance!