Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much milk to send?

Default how much milk to send?

I'm heading back to work next week. My little girl will be 14 weeks old. She will take a bottle, but prefers mommy. She usually goes every 3 hours during the day between feedings. However, it seems that when she gets a bottle which is rare only 2 hours. I gave her one yesterday 4 oz and was feeding her in 2 hours. I'm not sure how much to send into school with her. Would you plan for 2 hour feedings or 3? I've gone to Kellymom to calculate, but not sure if that makes sense either. 4 ounces every 2 hours seems like a lot. I'm thinking about sending in a bunch of 2 ounce bottles. I just wish I knew how much she was eating from me. During the day I feed her on one side and pump the other and switch sides throughout the day. When I pump I get between 2 and 3 ounces. I also have been limiting her during the day to 20 minutes during the hours that I'll be at work.

Default Re: how much milk to send?

Kellymom and others quote that you should have an oz to an oz and a half for every hour you are gone. I think doing 2oz bottles is smart; that way if she wants an extra she can have it, but you don't waste milk. It takes a little while to figure things out. I've found that my LO just snacks while I'm away, and then has a feeding frenzy when I get home. Turns out, he needs way less than what they calculate, but I keep pumping because I'm afraid my supply will go down if I don't. We are running out of freezer space through!! LOL. I found worrying about how much I was pumping and how much he was eating really stressful in the beginning, but the best advice I can give is just relax, because that helps your supply as much as anything.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Default Re: how much milk to send?

with pp, and wanted to wish you !
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png