Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm wanting to wean at 22 months...

Default I'm wanting to wean at 22 months...

At 15 months I moved her to her crib, that was easy. Went from cosleeping and nursing every 2-3 hours to only nursing before naps and bedtime. In the mornings she would want to nurse and I would put her in bed with me and we would go back to sleep. I've finally cut out the before nap and mornings and now we are down to before bed only. Sometimes she askes for it in the morning but I can distract her with offering her favorite breakfast meals. Now she rarely ask. But, I know it's going to be tough to stop the before bedtime because she starts asking to nurse as soon as the sun goes down. I have nursed her before her bath the past 2 nights and put her in her crib and she went right to sleep (after reading about 10 books of course!) without nursing.

She is infatuated with my boobies! If she sees me changing she wants to touch them, and she's always putting her hands down my shirt! It's embarrassing!

I was thinking of not ever mentioning the word boobie or nurse again and if she brings it up we will just ignore it and try to change the subject or distract her and maybe she will forget eventually???

I've also been sleeping in her room since she was born and I'm eager to get back in my bed with my husband. I tried sleeping in my "old" room a couple of nights after getting her down and I couldn't sleep! I think I am going to have to relearn how to sleep in there!!! And my husband snores!!! But I love cuddling him, I miss him?

Anyone in the same boat? I am so ready to have a glass of wine with dinner!!!
    Proud Mommy of Caroline born May 20, 2007
    7lbs 14oz

Default Re: I'm wanting to wean at 22 months...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carman.poore View Post
    At 15 months I moved her to her crib, that was easy. Went from cosleeping and nursing every 2-3 hours to only nursing before naps and bedtime. In the mornings she would want to nurse and I would put her in bed with me and we would go back to sleep. I've finally cut out the before nap and mornings and now we are down to before bed only. Sometimes she askes for it in the morning but I can distract her with offering her favorite breakfast meals. Now she rarely ask. But, I know it's going to be tough to stop the before bedtime because she starts asking to nurse as soon as the sun goes down. I have nursed her before her bath the past 2 nights and put her in her crib and she went right to sleep (after reading about 10 books of course!) without nursing.

She is infatuated with my boobies! If she sees me changing she wants to touch them, and she's always putting her hands down my shirt! It's embarrassing!

I was thinking of not ever mentioning the word boobie or nurse again and if she brings it up we will just ignore it and try to change the subject or distract her and maybe she will forget eventually???

I've also been sleeping in her room since she was born and I'm eager to get back in my bed with my husband. I tried sleeping in my "old" room a couple of nights after getting her down and I couldn't sleep! I think I am going to have to relearn how to sleep in there!!! And my husband snores!!! But I love cuddling him, I miss him?

Anyone in the same boat? I am so ready to have a glass of wine with dinner!!!
    I'm in the same boat with the weaning. My daughter is just a few days younger than yours. I had her down to once a day too ( right before bed) I am pregnant and its just too painful... so I have been letting daddy put her to bed. She nursed once yesterday and not at all today. She asks in the mornings but I just say no and distract her with other things. Its so hard. I feel guilty but I feel like its time on my end.
    I don't quite understand why you are sleeping in her room though if she isn't nursing at night???? I can't imagine not sleeping with my husband... we have slept together everynight since we have been married ( almost 3 years) except for a few nights where one of us was away!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

The past 2 nights no nursing before bed! I felt she was ready because we were riding in the car and she said out of the blue "Mommy boobies empty?", I said "Yes!, and you're a big girl now like Sophie Jane" (her cousin that she loves!) and that was that. So, that night I decided to try not nursing and she didn't even ask! We just did the same routine we do for her naptime and she went right to sleep!

She hasn't cried to nurse at all so I feel she is ready! Plus I think I've been dried up for quite some time and she was just using me to put herself to sleep. I'm not full either so I must be!

As far as sleeping in her room, some nights she wakes a couple of times. She either wants water or to have her blanket put back on. She loves a blanket and her sippy cup but sometimes she can't find them and she starts getting really upset. Her bedroom is upstairs on the other side of the house. The baby monitor wakes my husband, and plus when I have to trek thru the house at 2am to get her settled back down I can't get back to sleep! So now how do I deal with these night wakings? It's not every night but it's pretty often.
    Proud Mommy of Caroline born May 20, 2007
    7lbs 14oz

I don't have any great advice, but I'm right there with you. My first two girls quit me. The first at 10 months and the second at 21 months. So you can imagine, I don't know how to 'make her' quit.

This third one is 20 months and still nursing twice at night, naptime, after dinner and bedtime. She is very demanding...has undone my buttons while in the grocery cart. She shows no signs of slowing down, and I'm afraid I will have to upset her at times in order to get the job done.

I also sleep with her in her room. My husband would like me to come back to bed with him someday soon. He's just recently started making a few comments. Don't know how I'll get her to sleep alone either. She's never slept more than 40 minutes in her crib in her entire life, which is exactly why I sleep with her. I wouldn't sleep otherwise.

If I come up with any good trick I promise to share, and would love any of yours as well.

we just put our son in his own room this past weekend (he is 26 months)
    The first few days were hard not being in the same room with him, but eventually I got so tired that I did get some sleep! And if he woke up, I went in there, reassured him that everything is okay and fixed his blankets and went back to my room. If he called back out to me, i would stand in his doorway and tell him everything is okay, mommy is right next door, time for sleep. He went right to sleep. I think the first few nights, he was scared b/c it was a different environment. But last night, night 4, he slept through the night! I didnt though, I tend to wake up just waiting for him to get up but he doesnt!
    It also helped to have DH put him to bed at night, b/c if I did it, it would take forever because he knows how to work it with me! (he says "mommy I need to cuddle you!" who can say no to that?)

As far as wanting to see your breasts, my son has been weaned almost 5-6 months and he still talks about them if he sees them. He even asked to nurse the other day, but just laughed and walked away. I think they are just so curious about everything when they are that age, its hard not to talk about boobs when they see them!
    So that probably goes away with time.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!