Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adoption- is it easier to induce lactation...

Default Adoption- is it easier to induce lactation...

Is it any easier to induce lactation if you've breastfed a biological child previously (versus inducing lactation without any experience breastfeeding)? Like, your body remembers how to make milk?

I'm currently breastfeeding my second child who's 6 months old. I don't want any more biological children but we would like to adopt in about 3 years. I really would like to breastfeed if we adopt an infant. I could let my daughter wean in a year or two, then try to induce lactation whenever we adopt. Or, I could try to pump to keep up my supply as DD nurses less, and pump straight through until we adopt. That sounds like a lot of pumping, but I could donate the milk, and if it would make it easier to nurse my next child then I think it would be worth considering.

So if you've read this far, thanks! I'd love any opinions on the best way I can try to nurse our next child.

Default Re: Adoption- is it easier to induce lactation...

I have no answer to your question, but I truly admire mamas that induce lactation for adoption!

I hope you find your answer!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

You are a amazing mama! I would pump even after your lo is weaned. Even if you just pump twice a day, you can increase your supply easier than inducing laction. You can donate your milk
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilliebelle View Post
    You are a amazing mama! I would pump even after your lo is weaned. Even if you just pump twice a day, you can increase your supply easier than inducing laction. You can donate your milk
    I totally agree with lilliebelle I have been relactating for that past several months. If you already have a supply I would keep it up. Relactating is a lot of work!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11