Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to start breastfeeding again...will it work?

Default Want to start breastfeeding again...will it work?

Hi. I am new here and had a question. I stopped bf 2 days ago cold turkey in order to make sure my baby was getting enough to eat. I went to formula and he seems to be doing ok. I feel horrible watching him take a bottle...I want to try bf again. Will I have enough to start over since I didn't think I had enough before? My baby was born on March 5th but was not due until March 20th and was nursing every 1.5 to 2 hrs and was so fussy in between times. Any advice?

Default Re: Want to start breastfeeding again...will it work?

Congrats on your new little one and welcome

You can indeed get baby back to the breast!

This resource might give some useful info... but I'd like to ask How old is baby?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You can definitely get your baby back to nursing! Two days isn't very long off at all; although your supply may have dipped, you will still be making milk. There may be some nipple confusion, since your baby is so small. (I am not an expert on how to deal with that, but I am sure another mama will chime in.)

Nursing every 1.5-2 hours is actually normal at that age; at growth spurt times (~6 week, 3 month, etc.) they can actually nurse more often. I'm not sure about the fussiness, again, I'm sure some other mama will chime in with more wisdom than I have.

Okay, I'm not being terribly helpful, I just wanted to say that yes, you can do it!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks for the help. He will be 4 weeks old on thursday. I started him bf again last night and he took to it prety well. He still seems a little fussy, but I am going to stick with it this time and see how well we get along!

Just chiming in to encourage you to stick with it! You can definitely restart breastfeeding- my Mom did with my little sis after 3 months off, and managed to regain a full supply and nurse until my sis until 18 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

good luck! it is definatelt do-able in your case!

The fussiness may be gas and not hunger. Is he having enough wet and dirty diapers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

maybe something you are eating is upsetting the baby. I know that there were a few things that i couldnt eat because of my lo.

I read this on babycenter:

Breast milk interactions chart-
    While it's true that what goes into your body usually does make its way into your milk supply, the amount is generally a tiny fraction of what you ingest. In our charts below, see how various substances can affect your breast milk and what precautions you should take.
    Food
    Gas and fussiness in your baby are the most common signs that something you ate has made its way into your breast milk. Diarrhea and a skin rash could signal an allergy. Talk to your doctor before making any changes to your diet — good nutrition is essential for nursing mothers.

Food Solution
    Cabbage, onion, garlic, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, peppers, cucumbers, and turnips can cause gas and fussiness, which usually lasts up to 24 hours and then disappears. = Cut out the offending foods in your diet (at least for the first few months of breastfeeding) until your baby's gastrointestinal tract is more developed.

Cows' milk products (such as milk, cheese, yogurt, and even butter) in your diet may cause an allergic reaction in your baby. Symptoms can appear anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours after breastfeeding and may include diarrhea, rash, fussiness, and gas or runny nose, cough, or congestion. =* Cut out all dairy products from your diet for two weeks to see if your baby's condition improves. *

Citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits, and tangerines are common irritants. Symptoms may include fussiness, vomiting, diarrhea, skin rashes, hives, and sniffles. Cut out the suspect foods for about a week (long enough to get them completely out of your system). Then reintroduce one food at a time to find the culprit.

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine that's a gastric irritant. Symptoms may include fussiness and diarrhea. Cut out the candy bars for about a week (long enough to get them completely out of your system) to see if your baby's condition improves.

Eggs, wheat, corn, fish, peanuts, nuts, and soy are allergens. Symptoms may include fussiness, vomiting, diarrhea, skin rashes, hives, and sniffles. "Stray" proteins from some of these foods may be absorbed into your bloodstream and pass into your milk. Keep a chart of what you've been eating, and when.

Cut out the suspect foods for about a week (long enough to get them completely out of your system). Then reintroduce one food at a time to find the culprit. But don't drastically alter your diet without talking to your doctor first.

I cut out all the usual foods like cows milk products and cabbage, onions and broccoli and chocolate. I just stopped eating all these for 3 days and then started introducing one thing at a time back into my diet, but i waited a couple of days before i ate a new one.

I found out that i could only eat a small amount of milk and cheese before it upset her tummy, I couldnt drink a glass of milk but i could have cereal with a little milk. I could eat dairy only if it was mixed in like mashed potatoes or casseroles or mac and cheese, i could eat the powered cheese like kraft blue box but i couldnt eat the velveta kind. but everyone and every baby is diffrent so you just have to find out what works best for you two.

I hope this helps and good luck!!
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz