Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question for a friend

Default Question for a friend

I would like to ask a question for a friend, Here are the facts: Baby is 6 weeks old, he was fed formula at the hospital and soon lost his latch, he has been on formula in a bottle and latched maybe for the first week and then wanted nothing to do with mommy´s breast.

She wants to make the effort to relactate, she has been pumping half an ounce every two hours (during the day) for 4 days and has seen increase in supply, and is still feeding baby with the bottles with supposed peristaltic nipples, we tried feeding him with the Medela soft feeder, but refused it just as he does the breast.

My friends tries putting the baby on the breast several times a day, but looses patience and feeds the bottle, I´ve told her to forget the bottle and try a dropper or spoon, but she is reluctant to let it go.

I have a few questions,

1) When you continue feeding with the bottle, can you still wean out of it slowly?
    2) What other recommendations can I give her to get the baby to latch.

I am not worried about supply, I am cofident she will build it, but i am affraid the baby will not want to get back on the breast once her supply is up to baby´s needs.

Thanks for all your advice, My friend does not speak English and that is why I am writing for her.

Jenny Bertha, Living in Guayaquil, Ecuador

Mommy to
    Ilona born 8-20-2005
    Mia born 2-25-2008

Default Re: Question for a friend

I'm sorry your friend had such a tough start with breastfeeding. How sad that her baby won't latch, an how great that she has chosen to relactate!

I don't think it's wrong to have the baby bottlefeed- he needs food, and a dropper or syringe or spoon might be very difficult and confusing for him, and it must be terrifying for mom when her baby won't eat... IDK what I would do in that situation...

1) When you continue feeding with the bottle, can you still wean out of it slowly?
    Yes, I think you can.

2) What other recommendations can I give her to get the baby to latch.
    1. Do as much skin-to-skin contact as possible. The more time the baby spends next to mom's warm, naked breast and her milky smell, the more comfortable he is going to be with the breast.
    2. If your friend is not co-sleeping, she may want to start. Often a baby who will not nurse during the day when he is alert will take the breast when he is sleepy and too relaxed to fight.
    3. Make bottlefeeding as much like breastfeeding as possible. When it's time for the baby to feed, mom should open her shirt and cuddle baby next to her naked breast for the duration of the feeding. She may want to tickle his lips with her nipple in order to get him used to the sensation and to get him to associate it with eating. When it's time to give the bottle, she should not allow the baby to latch on in a sloppy way by slipping the bottle nipple into a half-open mouth. She should tickle his lips with the bottle nipple and wait until he opens wide before slipping the bottle nipple into his mouth.

I am not worried about supply, I am cofident she will build it, but i am affraid the baby will not want to get back on the breast once her supply is up to baby´s needs.
    Unfortunately, this is a possibility. But even if it does go this way, it is not the end of the world. Breastmilk in a bottle is still breastmilk- it still has all the health benefits for both mom and baby, and it's still cleaner and safer than formula. Lots of moms pump exclusively. Good luck to your friend! Let her know that there is a Spanish forum on this page is she wants some direct support.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"