Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO won't sleep with grandma

Default LO won't sleep with grandma

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time mother of a 6 week old, going back to work part time on Monday (mostly mornings - I have some flexibility in the afternoons). My mother will be taking care of my baby at home while I'm gone. So far we've done some dry runs, mornings only, and it's not good. LO screams her head off. She refuses pacifiers (we've tried all the brands at CVS). My mother quiets her by walking around and talking to her constantly, but since LO is 12lb already, 3 hours of this really tires her out.

LO's finally drinking BM from a bottle, but she's not happy about it. Yesterday she drank 4 oz during a 3 hour interval, and grandma was asking if we could give her more . She doesn't spit up, but when I got her back and nursed her she nursed for less than a minute and let most of the milk drip out, so she had definitely had enough. After that, she fell asleep.

How can I make her comfortable when I'm gone? Is there a specialized brand of pacifiers that we can buy? She refused all the ones I bought from CVS, and she can suck her hands but seems to only do that to cue nursing. Can I teach her to fall asleep without nursing? How would I do that?

Thanks,
    D.

Default Re: LO won't sleep with grandma

Do you have a swing? That used to help my DH to get our LO to sleep at that age.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

I agree with trying a swing.
    Also, is your mother using a baby carrier or just holding your lo in her arms. A good carrier would make it less of a physical strain on her.
    What about a car ride?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Thank you for the replies!

About the swing: we do have one, and it works if LO isn't all worked up. She has been known to cry in it, though and I think mom doesn't want to put her in if she's really upset. Still, maybe we should try, it helps with the gas. DH swears by it.

It's funny you should mention the carrier, our babyhawk (mei tai?) arrived this morning and I"m trying to get mom to use it. She's nervous about the froggy legs position for LO, since she isn't big enough that her legs can come out the sides. Plus the tying on scares her. I bought a Bella as well, but that has yet to arrive.

At that age, my DS could be soothed to sleep best in a rocking chair. Does your mom have one? Re your mom thinking she wanted more milk, she probably just wanted to suck a little more.

It will get better once she realizes that you are going to come back. and tomorrow!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Hello - have you tried swaddling her? It really seems to help calm my lo down and she sleeps so much better. I use a miracle blanket at night and sometimes for naps. Good luck. Also, does your swing go side to side and back n forth? If it does try swinging her in the other direction. It worked for me this morning.

Hello - have you tried swaddling her? It really seems to help calm my lo down and she sleeps so much better. I use a miracle blanket at night and sometimes for naps. Good luck. Also, does your swing go side to side and back n forth? If it does try swinging her in the other direction. It worked for me this morning. Has she tried taking her for a walk?

Well, it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated. I'm so glad I live close to work, though, I came home for a loong lunch and put her down for an afternoon nap, so /i could get more done.

I will try the rocking chair, we had bought a glider, but never assembled it we'll just have to make room. I'm not good at swaddling - she always gets out, and I'm scared she'll strangle herself with those kiddapotamus things. I've heard good things about the miracle blanket, I may give it a go. If nothing else, it may extend her morning nap a bit.

Thank you for the suggestions and support!