Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS still needs formula supplement

Default DS still needs formula supplement

My DS was quite sick and was in the NICU.
    I was not allowed to have him out of his incubator for more than 30 mins.
    So he was supplemented with as much BM as I could pump and then formula.
    We had to get him to poop as much as possible because of a blood group issue and severe jaundice that almost needed a blood transfusion.
    Hence the more he ate the more he pooped and the faster he got better.
    If that wasnt the case he would have never had formula.

He is now 5 weeks old and I am still having to supplement him with formula twice a day.

I tried going a day without a bottle and he screamed for the 8 hours straight. I nursed him as much as I could but there was nothing left for me to give.

My first son was an exclusive Bf'er and im feeling that im not enough for my new son. I drink a ton of fluids a day mostly water and feed him on demand. But it never seems to be enough.

I pump as much as I can but never get much. I actually got more the 1st week he was here than I do now!

Im just geting frustrated and feeling as If Im failing him and me.
    However it is nice that he takes a bottle and still nurses which is a luxury I didnt have the first time. I just wish I could increase my supply somehow.

TIA
    Leigh

Default Re: DS still needs formula supplement

Hi Leigh,
    I'm sorry you are dealing with these feelings of inadequacy but it really is a good sign that you were able to exclusively breastfeed your first child. It is rare that a woman has a true low milk supply, especially after she's successfully nursed one child already. Let's see what we can do to help you! Please excuse my wrath of questions.

First, what type of breastpump are you using? When you give baby the supplemental bottle of formula, are you pumping your breasts during that time? Have you considered using a supplemental nursing system to deliver the supplements through? The reason I'm asking is because breastmilk supply depends directly on breast stimulation. If you aren't stimulating your breasts enough then you simply won't make enough milk. By using a supplemental nursing system, baby is at the breast stimulating it while getting expressed breastmilk or formula in addition to the milk coming out of the breast. Have you considered taking a galagtogue, like Fenugreek (over-the-counter herbal supplement) or Domperidone (available by prescription only)? How often are your breasts being stimulated either by baby or your pump?

Keep in mind that what you get out of your breasts with a pump is not indicative of your true supply. A baby is always more efficient than the best pump in the world. So just because you may yield an ounce out of the pump does not mean that baby is only getting an ounce out of you. Also, your breasts are truly never empty -- your body continuously makes breastmilk. There are many reasons that babies cry so them crying after a nursing session is also not indicative of a supply problem.

Obviously the most important thing is to get food into your baby and ideally, if you need to supplement it should be done with breastmilk because breastmilk has more fat and calories than formula and obviously it has more to offer than formula does.

OK, that's enough questions for now Hang in there -- you can work through this! It just takes a lot of motivation and dedication -- sounds like you've got that. We'll get you through this!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    First, what type of breastpump are you using? When you give baby the supplemental bottle of formula, are you pumping your breasts during that time? Have you considered using a supplemental nursing system to deliver the supplements through?
    Im using the Avent isis I actually really like it but just getting frustrated with how much i can pump. As soon as DS seems satisfied after a feeding I pump.

When he gets a bottle I pump when I can but im usually the one that has to give it to him (DH works 12 hours shifts). If he's home then I pump and he feeds the baby. But I still never get much.
    Im wondering if my letdown while pumping could be a problem.

I have seen the supplement nursing systems but never really thought of them and I also dont know where I could get one.

I think im extra frustrated because I had such a oversupply of milk with my first I never thought It could possibly be an issue. With him I didnt even have to pump I would just hold a bottle under my nipple on the opposite side when I fed him and could collect up to 4 oz and then still have enough to fill him up.

Im also starting to eat oatmeal everyday hoping that would help.

As far as Fenugreek or Domperidone i would definatly try the Fenugreek, where can you find it? Not sure im willing to go to prescription yet though.

I really appreciate your help.
    Thank you
    Leigh

I like the Avent Isis as well, however I don't know that it's the best pump for doing what you need to do. You might want to rent a hospital grade double-electric pump for a couple of months until you get through this. There are some "tricks of the trade" when it comes to using the Isis though. And I know that when I was occasionally pumping for my 2nd child, I had problems using the Isis until I took some Bach's Rescue Remedy under my tongue, LOL! I don't know if the Bach's actually helped or if it was just psychological on my part but once I took a few drops under my tongue, it helped. *shrug*

You can get a supplemental nursing system from Medela or something called a Lact-Aid from Lact-Aid. Here's a run-down of the SNS vs. Lact-Aid for you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ad...tml#comparison I'm sure that there are places locally for you to purchase one or the other.

You can get Fenugreek at Walmart, actually. Here's some info on it, not from an approved LLL source -- http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

You said something though that interests me -- you said that you nurse baby until he seems satisfied after a nursing session. If he seems satisfied after nursing then why supplement him?

Hope this helps some more!

If he seems satisfied after nursing then why supplement him?
    He is not satisfied after every feeding. His latch is great hes sucking well and gulping. But his mid-day to evening feedings just dont seem to satisfy him at all.

Sometimes he seem very satisfied and only mins later he'll start rooting again.
    I always put him back on when i see him doing that. Then 10 mins later he'll start doing it again. He will do this all day until he gets a bottle of either EBM or formula. I can only sit and feed him for so many hours before I want to cry! My oldest son is almost 5 and I unfortunatlly cant spend every waking moment nursing my newborn.

I only pump after my Middle of the night feeding and morning feedings. Those are the only times he ever seems satisfied. I almost dont feel "safe" pumping at any other time in fear that he may be hungry 20 mins later!

As I said before ive tried not supplementing him for a day (actually 2 different days) And we screamed for hours and hours. The moment he got a 4oz bottle he was fine. While screaming he would be rooting as well.

I should also mention that one evening he Bf'ed for a good hour then had a 4oz bottle and was still rooting. He ended up taking 7oz's from the bottle. I truly think my mid-day evening supply isisnt enough for him.

He also gained 1 and 1/2lbs and 2 inches in 2 weeks. He just seems so hungry all the time.
    And As I said before ive done this successfully with my first. I can tell his hunger cry from his gas pain cry.

Thank you for all the info I appreciate it.

Smile Re: DS still needs formula supplement

Let me give you one more non-LLL approved source that you may find helpful:

Is your milk supply really low?

And just keep in mind that in the evening, babies tend to cluster feed and mom's supply appears to be lower at that time of the day and some babies just want to suck all the time.

I don't recall if I mentioned it in my previous posts or not but have you considered trying out a sling? That way you could be mobile & still nurse baby when he wants to nurse? I'm also thinking that an SNS or Lact-Aid will do wonders for your supply.

Let us know how things go. I think you'll overcome this obstacle -- you just need some support. I hope you can get to an actual LLL meeting or at least talk with a Leader over the phone on a regular basis. If that isn't possible, remember we are always here for you