Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mini pill, low milk suppply

Default mini pill, low milk suppply

Hi there, Got a call from a friend who is having to supplement bc since she started taking the mini pill, she has had to supplement with Formula to keep the baby happy, said that she took reglan but did not like the side effects and is not taking fenugreek. She said that it is working OK, any ideas? Baby is 5 months?

Default Re: mini pill, low milk suppply

she could go off the pill and try a natural family planning..
    I had a friend that said that the mini pill was not affecting her supply but in the box it said that she still had a 1 in 20 chance of becoming pg.. I don't know if that was in a year or what.
    that seams high for putting all thoose chemicals in your body.

There are so many forms of good birth control. I got a copper IUD. No hormones. Just a thought. That way you don't have to think about breastmilk or birth control.

If she stops taking the mini pill her supply should recover, as long as she's allowing baby to meet his needs at the breast.

Does your friend know that Reglan is known for inducing/causing severe depression? It seems that doctor's are failing to inform their patients of this side-effect.

I second the IUD recommendation. I got my mini-pill rx filled and decided not to take it. I was afraid of supply problems, plus it is true that even with perfect use (exact same time every day) the pregnancy rate is 1/20. I got my IUD at my 6week postpartum appt and it was fine - some spotting for awhile but otherwise a breeze. And no worries about milk supply - i have enough worry about being able to keep up now that i am back at work without worrying about the minipill's effects! Now, if only my baby would sleep long enough that we would actually have need for birth control!!

I had the same problem. I started the minipill and w/in days I was pumping 2 oz rather than 9 oz before. I went off it and the milk came back after pumping lots over 2 days.