Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Beginning pumping

Default Beginning pumping

Hi ladies!

I have been reading lots on here about pumping and there is loads of great advice! I have started pumping 2 weeks or so ago, I am only pumping 1st thing in the mornings on days my baby (5 months old) will finish on 1 side, then I pump the other

This is only every few days, and I would like to start storing more milk, should I be pumping more often to start getting more? I usually get about 3-4ozs from the one side when she hasnt eaten anything from it.... I want to make sure of course she has enough milk when she needs to nurse, but would like to build up a nice supply.

Can I pump after she finishes? I am sure they wont be much left over or should I squeeze in a session between morning feedings?

Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Beginning pumping

You strategy sound good to me. So long as your baby is getting what she wants and needs then pumping what is left is a good idea.

You might alternate which side that she feeds on. My experience was that my baby got more milk out of a breast than I could pump out of it. So, switching sides will keep things balanced if that is important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wyeastmom1 View Post
    You strategy sound good to me. So long as your baby is getting what she wants and needs then pumping what is left is a good idea.

You might alternate which side that she feeds on. My experience was that my baby got more milk out of a breast than I could pump out of it. So, switching sides will keep things balanced if that is important to you.
    Also, if you need/want to build your stash faster, add a "feeding" (pumping session) in the morning before your DD wakes up. (This is what I did in preparation for going back to work.) Morning is the easiest time to add a session, since your production is higher in the morning. You have to do it consistently every day , but your body will actually start producing more milk to handle the "extra feeding". Make sure you pump for 5 minutes after the milk stops (until you're getting a good amount), to let your body know to up production at that time of day. , and !
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

You can also pump a 1/2 hour after she's done eating. that's what i did to prepare for going back to work and banked a good amount of milk. (although now I'm running out!)
    Mama to Aidan - 13 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alli View Post
    You can also pump a 1/2 hour after she's done eating. that's what i did to prepare for going back to work and banked a good amount of milk. (although now I'm running out!)
    Are you having trouble with pumping, mama? Or supply? Can we help?

BTW, IME you are almost over the hump - around 12mo DS started drinking less & eating more when he was at the sitter's, which made pumping SO much easier.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png