Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to wash my pump parts after EVERY pumping???

Default Do I have to wash my pump parts after EVERY pumping???

I am relactating so I'm pumping every 2-3 hours. In the begining, it wasn't a big deal to me as I was only washing parts once a day since I wasn't getting milk. Now that I'm getting milk with every pumping (yay!!!!!), I am having to wash my parts every time. This is becoming a huge hassle because by the time I wash the parts and they dry, it's time to pump again! I bought the Medela quick clean cloths but I just don't feel like it's clean... Maybe I am a paranoid clean freak when it comes to my milk?

Do I have to wash my parts every time I pump? I take everything apart (including removing the little white part from the yellow piece) and wash it in hot, soapy water every time I pump.

TIA!

Default Re: Do I have to wash my pump parts after EVERY pumping???

I would for sure wash them w/ hot soapy water right after you pump each time. I don't think I would take the white piece off though. I just run mine under hot water sopay water and it all flows through. Do you have the microwave steam sterilizer bags? Those are great and fast!!

I pump at work and its more private to pupmp and clean the parts in the room were I pump with the quick clean. This way I dont take parts out into the lounge. I then wash and sterilize the pump eve time I go back to work. You don't necessaily need to sterilize them every time. Just tinse after every use if your not going to wash it right away. I would definitly wash the pump after every use. I know it seems as if this is what you are going to be doing all day. I recently bought an extra pair of breastshields and this seems to work for me. I have one clean pair ready to go for work and the other so that I can pump while at home.
    Good luck

i'm paranoid when it comes to cleaning the breastshields, valves/membranes for my medela PIS advanced after EVERY pump session. i pump 3 times at work and once at home before bed. i used to use the medela wipes, and i know what you mean about the parts not feeling completely clean...so now i use the micro steam bags at work and at home. i rinse under hot water and take everything apart, like you...i separate the valves from the membranes...put everything back together and put them in the micro steam bag. i also have an extra pair of breastshields...i keep one pair at home and the other at work.

i know it's a bit time consuming to wash the parts after every pump session, but i think you're doing the right thing!

I do have the bags but I still feel the need to wash each piece by hand with hot water and soap. I'm mega paranoid about doing something to spoil my precious milk since I'm working so hard to get it back for DS.

For my cleaning process, I fill my bathroom sink up with a bit of Ultra Dawn and the hottest water (which is MEGA hot hear... like, 2nd degree burn hot, or so it feels) I can get. I then take all my parts apart and soak them in the hot soapy water for about 10 min. Then, I pull them out while the sink drains. I rinse them quickly with water and then I hand wash them with new soap and the hottest water that I can stand on my hands. I rinse them several times and then I let them air dry.

Is this overkill?

If you don't want to wash after everyfeeding you can leave the whole kit and caboodle in the fridge between sessions and only clean was once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    If you don't want to wash after everyfeeding you can leave the whole kit and caboodle in the fridge between sessions and only clean was once a day.
    This has been working really well for me, no problems so far.

I'm probably the slacker in the group, but I bought enough breastshields (six sets) that I don't have to wash them during the day at work. If I'm really behind, I'll use the QuickClean wipes or even the microwave bags at work. Most of the time though, I also just run mine through the dishwasher at night. Buying all the breastshields was more expensive, but after a year of pumping (DS is 14 mos), it's well worth the convenience! I was much, much more concerned about germs when my son was an infant, but now I'm a slacker

The whole time I pumped at work (until J was 16.5 months old), I did NOT wash with soap and water after every pumping session.

I WOULD, however, rinse everything really really really thoroughly with boiling water, either from an electric kettle or from a insta-hot in the lounge. Full on soap/water, rinse, steam-cleaning happened at home - and sometimes not every night... but very regularly, to be sure. We never had any problems with this routine.
    -linda

I don't usually wash mine between pumping. I run water through them when I finished and then use the Medela Microwave Sterilization bags. Haven't really run into any problems with it. I usually run it through the dishwasher about once a week.