Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I doing right?

Default Am I doing right?

DD is 9 & 1/2 mo. She was started on solids at 6mo.Now she gets only one meal a day (mostly iron rich foods including fruits and veggies),some days I don't even give her any meal .She is growing very well and she is happy.As breastmilk is the best food for babies so I like to continue this pattern untill she is one year old but I got some handout on baby feeding from the public health clinic here in Canada that says at this age she should be getting two to three meals a day with in between snacks,now I am feeling little bit confused.Any advice or suggestion?

Default Re: Am I doing right?

*I* think that if she's growing and happy that you are doing fine. Solids in the first year are more for experimenting than nutrition. My LO is 8 months and she gets two meals a day, each 'meal' contains one ice cube sized portion of fruit and one of veggie. Some days she refuses a meal and that's fine. I just offer and try to get her to sample new things. You could always try adding in another meal to see how she does.

ETA: Here is a link on solids:http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abbymom View Post
    *I* think that if she's growing and happy that you are doing fine. Solids in the first year are more for experimenting than nutrition.

Just ignore the handout. They tend to be very out-of-date, and most presume that a mom's goal is to be done with nursing by the first birthday if not sooner. The "give tons of solids" advice is really directed at getting a baby off the breast as soon as possible. Also, the handouts never cover the whole range of opinion on topics like infant nutrition. For every doc who says "A 9 month old needs tons of solids" you're going to find another who says "Breastmilk is provides all necessary nutrition until the first birthday."

Sounds like you and your baby are doing just fine!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

dr sears also has some great info on his web site about feeding toddlers.

http://www.askdrsears.com/

Thanks for the replies now i am not confused anymore.