Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clear Discharge After Weaning?

Default Clear Discharge After Weaning?

A friend of mine just weaned her DD a week ago and has been having clear/watery discharge ever since. Her right breast is also hard on top. We've been trying to get some info on it and read that if you have clear discharge after weaning you should see a doctor, but it didn't say why. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Default Re: Clear Discharge After Weaning?

The discharge is probably just milk- super-watery milk, but still milk. If she tasted it I'd be willing to bet it would taste salty. I think it's pretty normal to still have some milk only a week after weaning, particularly if weaning was fairly abrupt instead of gradual.

The hardened area on the breast is probably a plugged duct. Your friend should watch it carefully to make sure it doesn't turn into mastitis. If she starts having any pain, redness, or swelling in the hardened area, or starts feeling flu-like symptoms (fever, aches and pains, chills), she needs to call her doctor for some antibiotics and start removing milk from the affected breast by pumping or nursing (if the baby will still take the breast).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"